New "Big" Pacific view models

Nathan

Oct 27, 2009, 4:41:45 PM10/27/09
to Surf Forecasting
With the FNMOC models being changed, I stepped up some work on
generating some other models and have them online at:

http://wavecast.com/wams/grads/

For surf forecasting, I've found it useful to have some big a**
models, and with a color scale that fits my preference for tracking
big wave events (wave heights from 30-45 feet in the deep ocean, and
with periods 14-22 seconds).

These new "Big Pacific" view models are generated by using the GrADS
program, grabbing the GRIB data from the NCEP. Some links on those:
http://www.iges.org/grads/
http://polar.ncep.noaa.gov/waves/download.shtml

For now, these will be updated twice a day at 4:00 AM and 4:00 PM.

As a tip: since the images are a little large, especially with the
controls, try pressing the F11 key to view in full screen mode (F11
toggles most browsers between full screen mode).

These are still a work in progress, so your feedback would be
welcomed.

Best,

-Nathan

R B

Oct 28, 2009, 4:56:05 PM10/28/09
to Surf Forecasting
okay I reviewd the swell period map.
Its real easy for me to use the press 'next' button beyond hour 144
and then use 'prev' to desynchronize
the hour display versus whats actually displayed. I would imagine
both models are the same in this respect.

Swell Height:
well swell height color key at bottom is in meters I presume?
Yet all swell forecasters talk in feet, somewhat of a disconnect.

I would suggest suggest an 'on change' event or something on the
'10/28/2009 00Z 0H' area, parsing it and updating the drop down Hour
display, this would serve to synchronize it in all situations.

Otherwise a great resource in any case, thanks Nathan

On Oct 27, 1:41 pm, Nathan <nathantoddc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> With the FNMOC models being changed, I stepped up some work on
> generating some other models and have them online at:
>
> http://wavecast.com/wams/grads/
>
> For surf forecasting, I've found it useful to have some big a**
> models, and with a color scale that fits my preference for tracking
> big wave events (wave heights from 30-45 feet in the deep ocean, and
> with periods 14-22 seconds).
>
> These new "Big Pacific" view models are generated by using the GrADS
> program, grabbing the GRIB data from the NCEP. Some links on those:http://www.iges.org/grads/http://polar.ncep.noaa.gov/waves/download.shtml

Nathan

Oct 29, 2009, 12:06:47 AM10/29/09
to Surf Forecasting
Thanks RB. I changed the color key to show feet instead of meters.

I'll see what I can do with the controls.

-Nathan