Time of Year With Least Amount of Waves in SoCal?

silverECHO

Mar 6, 2009, 12:01:13 PM3/6/09
to Surf Forecasting
Hello fellow surf forecasters,

With some apprehension and embarrassment, I am posting this slightly
against the grain question because I need to schedule a surgery on my
wrist for a torn ligament and will be forced to recuperate for 6
weeks. I am thinking of scheduling my surgery in mid-to-late April.
Any thought on when the best time to schedule a surgery like this so I
might not miss (based on historical averages) some great waves? I live
in Los Angeles and usually surf between South Bay and Ventura County.

Thanks for your advice.

Best,
Mark

Nathan Cool

Mar 6, 2009, 7:27:56 PM3/6/09
to surf-for...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark,

Bummer deal on the surgery. As far as the best time to surf, when itsn't it? But seriously, I suppose it's subjective. For me, I prefer conditions over size, so I'm more of a summertime surfer, although I love the fall when we get Santa Anas as well.

I'd hate to tell you when to schedule your surgery, but if it were me, then now would seem like a good time, since springtime is known for its winds, and you'd be able to recuperate before summer southern hemis get fired up.

-Nathan

silverECHO

Mar 7, 2009, 12:25:54 PM3/7/09
to Surf Forecasting
Thanks for the response. I was thinking the same thing that spring
would be the best time for the surgery (not the best surf conditions).
I guess I just needed to hear it from someone else before I go "under
the knife". Until the summer...see you in the water..
-Mark