southern hemisphere

mjb

Feb 27, 2009, 2:47:00 PM2/27/09
to Surf Forecasting
when does the southern hemisphere begin to really come alive?

Nathan Cool

Feb 27, 2009, 6:04:02 PM2/27/09
to surf-for...@googlegroups.com
During the southern hemisphere winter, which is during our summer. The southern hemi winter months include June, July, and August. We though usually start to see southern hemis by May, lasting well into October. Right now though there is activity on the models, and we had a sizable SW'er last year in February.

This year is a La Nina year, so it may be better. During an El Nino year, the southern jetstream tends to strengthen, which holds storms forming off Antarcrica tight to the pole. We need those storms to drift northward to throw energy our way. During a La Nina year, the southerly jet tends to weaken, which would help that out.

-Nathan