FNMOC ~WW3

R B

Oct 25, 2009, 7:30:37 PM10/25/09
to Surf Forecasting
Hello Nathan,
I used to use this link for swell forecast worldwide , all free
https://www.fnmoc.navy.mil/ww3_cgi/index.html

it seems to have significantly changed or is being phased out.
Do you know where to get significantly the same thing?

Anton Vasilescu

Oct 25, 2009, 8:45:57 PM10/25/09
to surf-for...@googlegroups.com
I've built a site for southern California that has most of the the global and eastern pacific data. It also has the weather forecast and the higher resolution maps for the Southern California. Let me know how you like it and how can I improve it more: http://socalscubainfo.com

Thanks,
Anton

Oct 25, 2009, 9:47:00 PM10/25/09
to Surf Forecasting
Okay , better now.
List box comments stand.
I just learned how to step through the graph/model in 3 hour
increments...wunderbah!
Thanks Anton, this is better than the FNMOC page I was using.

From a surf perspective
Looking to the East of New Zealand it looks like a marvelous SW NZ
swell out 100+ hours
for swell arrival out to Nov 8 sometime. Looks like a big SW to me.

R B

R B

Oct 25, 2009, 10:27:55 PM10/25/09
to Surf Forecasting
Global view for swell height, the color key only goes up to 19' ft.
Typical storms are in the 20-40ft.

100-125 hours out on the same Global swell height and direction map,
storm below bering sea is traveling
east, swell direction arrows are all pointing west.

Nathan

Oct 26, 2009, 10:51:41 AM10/26/09
to Surf Forecasting
Anton,

Those are very clean looking models.Good job.

Can I ask what program you used to generate the models, and where the
Gribs came from to generate those?

-Nathan

On Oct 25, 5:45 pm, Anton Vasilescu <vasilescu_an...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I've built a site for southern California that hasmost of the the global and eastern pacific data. It also has the weather forecast and the higher resolution maps for the Southern California. Let me know how you like it and how can I improve it more:http://socalscubainfo.com
>
> Thanks,
> Anton
>
> ________________________________

Nathan

Oct 26, 2009, 10:54:53 AM10/26/09
to Surf Forecasting
Hey RB,

I wrote the webmaster, but haven't heard anything back. You might also
want to chime in:
fnmoc.w...@navy.mil

I wasn't hip to the change, and asked if perhaps they could still keep
the older models running.

I do though have some links to the old models, which are still in
operation (for now):
https://www.fnmoc.navy.mil/ww3_cgi/cgi-bin/ww3_area.cgi?color=w&area=npac
https://www.fnmoc.navy.mil/ww3_cgi/cgi-bin/ww3_area.cgi?color=w&area=spac

-Nathan

On Oct 25, 4:30 pm, R B <rbrann...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Nathan,
> I used to use this link for swell forecast worldwide , all freehttps://www.fnmoc.navy.mil/ww3_cgi/index.html

Anton Vasilescu

Oct 26, 2009, 12:30:16 PM10/26/09
to surf-for...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nathan,

All the info is from the NOAA WW3 models and I've processed it through python. I wrote a few scripts that automatically download, extract the data from the grib, create the image, post process it a bit and upload them to the site. All this runs automatically every 6 hours.

I had other projects on my plate lately and haven't had the chance to work on it but I am planning a complete overhaul of the site plus extending the areas of coverage.

Anton

Thanks for checking out the site and I really appreciate your input!

"Global view for swell height, the color key only goes up to 19' ft.
Typical storms are  in the 20-40ft."
I basically designed everything for the so cal area and we never get swell that large. The global part was an add on based on the same code I wrote initially. I am planning a complete overhaul of the website and I'll keep that in mind for it.

"100-125 hours out on the same Global swell height and direction map,
storm below bering sea is traveling
east, swell direction arrows are all pointing west."
I have to check that one out. I am not sure what might have happened there as the code that builds the arrows is the same for all the models...

Global view for swell height, the color key only goes up to 19' ft.
Typical storms are  in the 20-40ft.

100-125 hours out on the same Global swell height and direction map,
storm below bering sea is traveling
east, swell direction arrows are all pointing west.

"Here goes:http://socalscubainfo.com/global-swell-period/
> > on the above page the drop down list box is acting screwy, it might
> > list 'global model' but its showing SoCal
> > and vice a versa."
What happens there is that the drop down list box has the SoCal model as the first item thus the default selection. It doesn't affect the data displayed but I agree that it should display the model page where you are.

As for the navigation, yes, you have to stop it first then you can move back and forth in 3 hours increments

Another thing that I strived for is to have it all compatible with the iPhone :) All the graphics and maps will display properly!

Thanks again for the input,
Anton

Nathan

Oct 26, 2009, 2:05:18 PM10/26/09
to Surf Forecasting
Thanks Anton. What I was wondering though is what you use to decode
the GRIBs, and then render the model images; for instance, are you
using GrADS, or some other type of model-image utility?

http://iges.org/grads/

-Nathan

R B

Oct 26, 2009, 3:23:13 PM10/26/09
to Surf Forecasting
Thanks Nathan the links work, I saved them this time.
I'll try emailing the FNMOC people, but I cant help but feel
its a 'Onsey Twosey Crusade'. Any possibility of you sending
out something related to your Swellscan updates.

Anton Vasilescu

Oct 26, 2009, 4:23:09 PM10/26/09
to surf-for...@googlegroups.com, Surf Forecasting
No, I haven't used GRADS. It's all python and libraries. I don't remember the name of the module that unpacks the degrib file and I'm not at home now but it was written by a guy from NOAA. He wrote the Basemap module that I'm using to build the maps. Once I have the images I'm using PIL to crop and save the images. To compress them for web I use Photoshop from a command line.

If you want more details, once I get home I'll be able to check the names of those modules.

Sent from my iPhone

Anton Vasilescu

Oct 27, 2009, 2:02:56 AM10/27/09
to surf-for...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nathan,

So to be more clear, I've used PyGrib2 to read the data from the grib file and transform it in an array that I feed to Matplotlib for plotting. To get the correct projection and the terrain I'm using Basemap together with Matplotlib. Once the image is created I use PIL to crop it and save it for the site. PyGrib2, Matplotlib, Basemap and PIL are toolkits that you install over your Python to expand it's capabilities.

To check out what they can do take a look at their web pages:
PyGrib2 - http://code.google.com/p/pygrib2/
Matplotlib - http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/gallery.html
Basemap - http://www.scipy.org/Cookbook/Matplotlib/Maps
PIL - http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil/index.htm

This should shed more light on the process I've used.

Best regards,
Anton

Oct 27, 2009, 4:32:06 PM10/27/09
to surf-for...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Anton. That's an awesome reference. You should be commended for
putting this all together.

I'd like to start a new thread in the group and mention the new models
I've been working on using GrADS. These are at:
http://wavecast.com/wams/grads/

They aren't as clean as yours, but they do provide a higher scale for
wave heights for forecasting systems many thousands of miles away.

-Nathan