sup is up

Iain Parris

Jun 14, 2020, 6:08:34 PM6/14/20
to sup...@googlegroups.com, Dan Callaghan, Gaute Hope
Greetings fellow Suppers,

tl;dr - sup had become inactive and unmaintained. But it still has kept
a cult following of delighted users over the years (source: I am one!),
and it is now going to be maintained again.

This mailing list has been inactive for a long time.
<sup...@googlegroups.com> for the "sup" mail client,
<https://sup-heliotrope.github.io/>.

I would first like to say a huge thank you to all of the sup
contributors over the years, and in particular special thanks to William
Morgan (original creator) and Gaute Hope (took over most maintenance in
2013, though now has a focus on notmuch/astroid - different email client
ecosystem, and all originally inspired by sup).

I am a long-time very happy sup user. It has been my primary mail client
for over 11 years.

I found out a few days ago that sup was no longer being maintained,
after spotting that the "sup-mail" package had disappeared in the latest
Ubuntu release (focal, 20.04 LTS).

I contacted Gaute Hope (@gauteh on GitHub, previous maintainer) and Dan
Callaghan (@danc86 on GitHub, owner of the most recently active sup fork
on GitHub).

After discovering each other and realising we aren't the only people
interested in keeping sup going, Dan and I have volunteered to maintain
sup once more, and Gaute has very kindly facilitated passing on the
baton. A huge *thank you* again to both of you, Dan and Gaute.

To be upfront about goals, however: Dan & I are looking to be extremely
conservative with respect to new features. We are interested in fixing
what's broken, and keeping it fixed, rather than adding new features.
This is because we are both long-time very happy users with the existing
feature set. We aren't presently seeking new feature development, or to
accept PRs for new features.

The current tentative plan is:

(0) Fix failing Travis CI build. Done. The build is now green again
for the first time in five years, and sup has its first recent commits:
<https://github.com/sup-heliotrope/sup/commits/develop>.

(1) Incrementally modernise the build. Likely to require applying
incremental code fixes. For example, we would like to officially
support all current Ruby versions (2.5, 2.6, 2.7). See:
<https://github.com/sup-heliotrope/sup/issues/552>.

(2) Update documentation, e.g., to remove the "no longer maintained"
notice, fix broken links, and provide up-to-date installation
information for the most common distributions.

(3) Create a new 0.23 release of sup - the first release since
0.22.1 five years ago (2015-06-18). To be released on GitHub and
published as a new version of the "sup" Ruby gem,
<https://rubygems.org/gems/sup>.

(4) Collaborate with major downstream packagers, for example perhaps
(not a definitive list):
- Debian & Ubuntu (apt)
- Fedora (yum)
- MacPorts?

Interested? Comments? Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions? It would be
*wonderful* to hear from you all. I'm sure there are many other happy
users out there, and this list is for the community as well as for
development. :-)

Do feel free to reply here on this mailing list, and/or to contribute in
any other way (pull requests, GitHub issues, or any other way!).

Dan, Gaute - I hope I have accurately summarised our conversations.
Would you like to add anything? :-)

Brief pointers:
- sup on GitHub: <https://github.com/sup-heliotrope/sup>
- Dan Callaghan <d...@djc.id.au>, @danc86 <https://github.com/danc86>
- Iain Parris <ipv2...@parris.org>, @IPv2 <https://github.com/IPv2>

(Admin info: Gaute has now setup Dan with access to sup on GitHub, the
sup gem on RubyGems, and this mailing list.)

Kind regards,
Iain

Gaute Hope

Jun 15, 2020, 2:57:55 AM6/15/20
to Iain Parris, sup...@googlegroups.com, Dan Callaghan
Iain Parris writes on June 15, 2020 0:08:
> Dan, Gaute - I hope I have accurately summarised our conversations.
> Would you like to add anything? :-)

Not that I can think of. Thanks, both, for picking Sup up!

Regards, Gaute

Dan Callaghan

Jun 16, 2020, 3:31:55 AM6/16/20
to Iain Parris, supmua, Gaute Hope
Excerpts from Iain Parris's message of 2020-06-14 23:08:31 +01:00:
> Dan, Gaute - I hope I have accurately summarised our conversations.
> Would you like to add anything? :-)

Nothing to add, other than a big thanks to you Iain for kicking off this
process, and I look forward to publishing a new sup release with lots of
good fixes soon.

--
Dan Callaghan <d...@djc.id.au>

Matthieu Rakotojaona

Jun 21, 2020, 4:50:11 AM6/21/20
to Dan Callaghan, Iain Parris, supmua, Gaute Hope
Hey everyone !

I'm very glad to see sup being taken care of again! I'll admit I haven't been the most active, but it's nice to see this project I hold dear be maintained again. Thanks for what you are doing !

Matthieu RAKOTOJAONA

Iain Parris

Jun 21, 2020, 8:48:20 AM6/21/20
to Matthieu Rakotojaona, supmua
Excerpts from Matthieu Rakotojaona's message of 2020-06-21 10:51:50 +0200:
> Hey everyone !
>
> I'm very glad to see sup being taken care of again! I'll admit I haven't
> been the most active, but it's nice to see this project I hold dear be
> maintained again. Thanks for what you are doing !

Thank you Matthieu, it's great to hear from you, and a big thank you to
you as well for the years of being co-maintainer alongside Gaute! I
remember your mailing list posts from 5+ years ago, and I really
appreciate your looking after sup in the past, and am glad that you are
pleased with us helping out now with maintenance. :-)

Kind regards,
Iain

Willem

Jun 23, 2020, 5:12:52 AM6/23/20
to sup...@googlegroups.com, Iain Parris, Dan Callaghan
Hi Iain (and all sup fans)

In our recent communication I expressed my great appreciation when I heard that my favorite email client has been rescued from a sad extinction. I have been using sup off and on for more than 8 years and in the mean time I have tried many others like mutt, mu4e, notmuch etc, but I keep coming back to sup as it simply works best for the way I like doing email.

I am sending this follow up to the mailing list in the hope that there is additional interest in discussion about sup and the various linux distributions.

When I first started using sup it was not available via Arch Linux, so I found it easier (mostly because of my own lack of programming knowledge...) to install into Lubuntu and later Debian. More recently I have been using Arch Linux so I checked the ArchWiki and was pleased to see sup there!

But, because of the problem that sup works only on ruby 2.3.3 and Arch uses a newer version of ruby, one has to use a workaround that is thankfully fully described on the Sup-ArchWiki which then directs you to the RVM-ArchWiki with good instructions for installing RVM and then sup.

This RVM workaround is referred to in the Sup-ArchWiki as a temporary install, and I discovered why; one of the draw backs is that after some linux kernel updates sup stops working and an alias needs to be added to ~/.bashrc again.

This is why when you mentioned in your item (4) "Collaborate with major downstream packagers"; I thought it would be great if you included Arch Linux in this group as I believe sup fits in perfectly with the Arch Linux philosophy, one item of which is minimal bloat. I am currently using sup on Arch Linux with the i3 tiling window manager which I really enjoy; cutting edge and bloat free, although I still have to find the time to sort out some sup hooks.

I believe many other dedicated sup users would find this sort of set up very satisfying!!

So, thanks again Iain
Cheers
Willem

Iain Parris

Jun 23, 2020, 3:31:09 PM6/23/20
to Willem, supmua
Hi Willem,

Excerpts from Willem's message of 2020-06-23 11:12:50 +0200:
> In our recent communication I expressed my great appreciation when I
> heard that my favorite email client has been rescued from a sad
> extinction. I have been using sup off and on for more than 8 years and
> in the mean time I have tried many others like mutt, mu4e, notmuch etc,
> but I keep coming back to sup as it simply works best for the way I like
> doing email.
>
> I am sending this follow up to the mailing list in the hope that there
> is additional interest in discussion about sup and the various linux
> distributions.

Thank you very much again for emailing, and for kicking off the
discussion about distributions / platforms. It's great to hear from
another happy sup user. I am exactly the same - I keep coming back to
sup. :-)

> But, because of the problem that sup works only on ruby 2.3.3 and Arch
> uses a newer version of ruby, one has to use a workaround that is
> thankfully fully described on the Sup-ArchWiki which then directs you to
> the RVM-ArchWiki with good instructions for installing RVM and then sup.
>
> This RVM workaround is referred to in the Sup-ArchWiki as a temporary
> install, and I discovered why; one of the draw backs is that after some
> linux kernel updates sup stops working and an alias needs to be added to
> ~/.bashrc again.

The ArchWiki documentation is very good, and has often helped me in the
past because it is regularly widely applicable and clear documentation,
even for users like me of other Linux distributions.

The key patch required for sup to run on later Ruby versions is
<https://github.com/sup-heliotrope/sup/commit/55f6b77ab6327495241e3c2ced6e33cb6ee8dd35>
- credit to Dan.

This patch will be included in the upcoming next sup release, but in the
meantime I've checked on Arch Linux in a VM, and found a method to apply
the patch and run sup successfully using system Ruby.

Pending the next sup release, I've updated ArchWiki right now with the
new workaround instructions for Arch Linux - and hope that it helps you,
and possibly others too!

<https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sup#Option_1_(recommended):_RubyGems_with_current_system_Ruby>

Please do let me know if that works for you.

> This is why when you mentioned in your item (4) "Collaborate with major
> downstream packagers"; I thought it would be great if you included Arch
> Linux in this group as I believe sup fits in perfectly with the Arch
> Linux philosophy, one item of which is minimal bloat. I am currently
> using sup on Arch Linux with the i3 tiling window manager which I really
> enjoy; cutting edge and bloat free, although I still have to find the
> time to sort out some sup hooks.

Sounds good - I'll add Arch Linux to my mental list of distributions.

I also have a note on my to-do list to update the sup wiki
<https://github.com/sup-heliotrope/sup/wiki> with recent installation
instructions for various platforms.

Does anyone else reading have any requests for other distribution or
platform? So far on my mental list is Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, Arch,
?MacPorts.

Kind regards,
Iain

Willem

Jun 24, 2020, 7:29:21 AM6/24/20
to Iain Parris, supmua
Hi Iain

I have just updated my sup installation following your revised Sup-ArchWiki Option 1 with the Patch 55f6b77, and I am happy to say that it worked perfectly; I am now running smoothly with current system Ruby - thanks!!

Cheers
Willem