Pan2 supported?

Trevor Adams

Jun 14, 2012, 7:18:58 PM6/14/12
to supercollider-an...@googlegroups.com
Hi again, I have been enjoying working with SC Android quite a bit, I've been able to do most everything I've needed to with it so far.  I'm having a minor issue getting a synthdef with configurable pan (Pan2.ar) to play correctly; moving the pan from 0 to 1 seems to cut volume to the whole output, while the stereo balance is never effected (negative values have to effect).  It's probably just a syntax error, but I know that some Ugens aren't supported in SC Android and wanted to make sure that's not the issue.  More generally, is there a list somewhere of supported Ugens?  The Github project notes some don't work, but not which ones.

Thanks!

Dan Stowell

Jun 15, 2012, 4:47:25 AM6/15/12
to supercollider-an...@googlegroups.com
Does your device have genuine stereo? Sounds like you're only getting
the left channel. It might be something hardcoded in our wrapper...

Dan

2012/6/15 Trevor Adams <trevor...@gmail.com>:
--
http://www.mcld.co.uk

thor

Jun 15, 2012, 4:58:36 AM6/15/12
to supercollider-an...@googlegroups.com

Out of interest Trevor. On which platform are you building the project?

I was trying on Mac OS for a while but couldn't find the right compiler
combinations (or something like that). Got the app to load on my Android
phone, but then it always crashed.

Dan Stowell

Jun 16, 2012, 3:31:06 PM6/16/12
to supercollider-an...@googlegroups.com
Ah yes, it's hardcoded as single-channel - see this in SCAudio.java:

final int numOutChans = 1;

The code should be able to cope with stereo if you change that line
and recompile - however it's not been tested for that.

Best
Dan

2012/6/15 Dan Stowell <danst...@gmail.com>:
--
http://www.mcld.co.uk

Trevor Adams

Jun 18, 2012, 2:56:13 PM6/18/12
to supercollider-an...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, that's exactly what I needed to know.  I'll need to decide whether stereo output is important enough to me to change the library.

In regards to the platform, I'm building in a Ubuntu Virtual Machine on a Windows computer (long story).  I had similar issues with my apps crashing on startup earlier; Dan set me straight, I hadn't compiled the native code properly.  Are any errors logged when your apps crash?

Trevor Adams

Jun 19, 2012, 2:39:18 PM6/19/12
to supercollider-an...@googlegroups.com
While I'm at it, I'll mention another minor issue I've encountered.  I have a synthdef that plays a note and then frees itself, and would like to initialize it with its appropriate arguments (pitch, duration, velocity, etc.).  OscMessage.createSynthMessage() doesn't take control arguments, so I created a "/s_new" command manually that would set the controls as well.  The command works on vanilla Supercollider on my PC, but the arguments appear to be ignored on the phone.

Could this be a limitation of SCAndroid?  I can set the controls immediately afterword with OscMessage.setControl messages, but I'd rather not have to keep track of node ID's and/or worry about synchronization.  Thanks!