problems with eclipse

kram

Oct 20, 2010, 10:10:33 AM10/20/10
to supercollider-android-developers
Hey,

A real beginner here. As part of a third level project I am developing
an app for the Android platform. Part of the idea behind is to
synthesize some sound on it rather than playback samples. I was told
that I should investigate Supercollider as it had been ported for
android use.

I followed the instructions here http://github.com/glastonbridge/SuperCollider-Android/wiki
, but was unable to follow them to completion. I don't really
understand the line 'Build the C files into libs by running /path/to/
android-ndk-r4b-crystax/ndk-build from inside the SuperCollider-
Android directory' or how to build the libs into an APK. Would anyone
be able to explain to a noob how this works?

I imported the supercollider project into eclipse and ran it. An error
message saying "the application
Supercollider(process.net.sf.supercollider.android) has stopped
unexpectdly" popped up on the emulator.

I am unsure of how to continue now so any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Mark

Dan Stowell

Oct 20, 2010, 11:41:16 AM10/20/10
to supercollider-an...@googlegroups.com
Hi -

2010/10/20 kram <kramn...@gmail.com>:

> Hey,
>
> A real beginner here. As part of a third level project I am developing
> an app for the Android platform. Part of the idea behind is to
> synthesize some sound on it rather than playback samples. I was told
> that I should investigate Supercollider as it had been ported for
> android use.
>
> I followed the instructions here http://github.com/glastonbridge/SuperCollider-Android/wiki
> , but was unable to follow them to completion. I don't really
> understand the line 'Build the C files into libs by running /path/to/
> android-ndk-r4b-crystax/ndk-build from inside the SuperCollider-
> Android directory'

You have a SuperCollider-Android directory somewhere, since you cloned
the git. In a terminal window, you need to change into that directory
('cd'). Then you need to execute the 'ndk-build' program that is part
of the Crystax R4B Android NDK which I presume you've downloaded
somewhere. If it's in the folder '/android/' for example then you
probably run a command like

/android/android-ndk-r4b-crystax/ndk-build

> or how to build the libs into an APK. Would anyone
> be able to explain to a noob how this works?
>
> I imported the supercollider project into eclipse and ran it. An error
> message saying "the application
> Supercollider(process.net.sf.supercollider.android) has stopped
> unexpectdly" popped up on the emulator.

Probably because you didn't build the NDK part, as described above.

By the way, it's really useful to get used to using "adb logcat" (see
the android docs), that shows you all the logging information which
helps you diagnose what went wrong.

Dan

--
http://www.mcld.co.uk

kram

Oct 20, 2010, 3:38:55 PM10/20/10
to supercollider-android-developers
Thanks for your reply.
Apologies, I should have mentioned I am running Windows 7. Does
this still apply?

On Oct 20, 4:41 pm, Dan Stowell <danstow...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi -
>
> 2010/10/20 kram <kramnann...@gmail.com>:
>
> > Hey,
>
> > A real beginner here. As part of a third level project I am developing
> > an app for the Android platform. Part of the idea behind is to
> > synthesize some sound on it rather than playback samples. I was told
> > that I should investigate Supercollider as it had been ported for
> > android use.
>
> > I followed the instructions herehttp://github.com/glastonbridge/SuperCollider-Android/wiki

Dan Stowell

Oct 20, 2010, 4:02:21 PM10/20/10
to supercollider-an...@googlegroups.com
Well to be completely honest I don't know. It's a long time since I
used windows. I think there's probably a similar command to run, but
it won't be exactly the same...

Dan

2010/10/20 kram <kramn...@gmail.com>:

--
http://www.mcld.co.uk

Alex

Oct 22, 2010, 8:42:56 AM10/22/10
to supercollider-android-developers
Hey Mark,

You'll need to install Cygwin [http://www.cygwin.com] in order to use
the NDK on Windows. When you install Cygwin you will get a new start
menu entry, which gives you a Linux-style bash prompt. From here you
can access your windows drives through paths like /cygdrive/c/ (for c:
\) and follow the NDK instructions [http://developer.android.com/sdk/
ndk/index.html] from there.

Likewise, sadly, I haven't used Windows for a while, but I'll do my
best to help!

Alex

On Oct 20, 9:02 pm, Dan Stowell <danstow...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well to be completely honest I don't know. It's a long time since I
> used windows. I think there's probably a similar command to run, but
> it won't be exactly the same...
>
> Dan

Mark

Oct 27, 2010, 8:46:23 AM10/27/10
to supercollider-an...@googlegroups.com
Hey Alex.

Thanks for the reply. I have downloaded Cygwin with the make files and used it to access the ndk-build file but I am still unable to run the cloned source code in eclipse. The same error keeps popping up.

Mark