SuperCollider-Android at DroidCon

glasto...@googlemail.com

Apr 4, 2010, 7:59:16 AM4/4/10
to supercollider-android-developers
Hi all, more email,

The folks at DroidCon (www.droidcon.de) have suggested I might put
together a wee talkie about the SuperCollider project for the upcoming
DroidCon event, so I thought I'd mention it here. In my opinion it'd
be a good way to raise awareness of the project, promote SC, define
some expectations, and also get me off my arse and do some work on
it :) As we're still in early development there's not much solid work
to discuss yet, but I'll make this clear in the proposal.

If the talk is accepted, it'd probably be broadly centred around the
following topics (note the talk length is 10-20 minutes):

1. Introduce SC - why's it great?
1. About supercollider: explain its architecture
2. Using supercollider-android: services, intents and osc

Any thoughts? I'm quite excited by the prospect!

Alex

Dan S

Apr 7, 2010, 4:09:36 PM4/7/10
to supercollider-android-developers
Yep, sounds great! I've done a few talks about SuperCollider so feel
free to ask me offlist if you want to discuss things like examples.

There's a partial analogy between the architectures of SC and Android
(scsynth as service, OSC as intents), so it might be nice to tease
that out, maybe think out loud about the way music tools might
interact on an Android platform. The standard use of OSC (over TCP/
UDP) has created an interesting "ecosystem" of music softwares (and
hardwares) that know how to talk to each other, whether on the same
machine or not. So maybe this is a chance to recreate that type of
ecosystem for the mobile environment, with OSC carried by Intents -
for local communication at least. For remote communication OSC could
be carried over TCP/UDP or bluetooth or text message (yes really)...?

Just some thoughts
Dan