Any EC2 admins available for some urgent help?

Jason Judge

Feb 23, 2015, 11:26:48 AM2/23/15
to super-...@googlegroups.com
We have an EC instance running a server for a client, and Amazon have notified us that the hardware it is on will be taken out of service and everything will be deleted. It then gives us pages of jargon about what to do next, which is, frankly right over our heads. Is anyone in this group able to look at this for us, or recommend anyone, and "do the necessary" to get it up and running again?

We thought being in the cloud would mean hardware issue were not our problem, but it seems not :-(

Apologies if support requests are not appropriate for this list, but we've kind of gone from running happily to totally lost in in instant.

-- Jason

John Butler

Feb 23, 2015, 11:30:58 AM2/23/15
to super-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jason,

Can you post the Jargon so I can take a look.  I am no expert but I remember getting a similar message and all I had to do was restart the instance and it rebooted on hardware that wasn't to be decommissioned, as you state, its the point of the cloud.

JB

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Super Mondays" group.

Jason Judge

Feb 23, 2015, 12:18:50 PM2/23/15
to super-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your help John. I owe you a beer at least :-)

The summary of what happened is that Amazon sent us an email to tell us to stop and start our instance so it could be moved to other hardware, as the box it was on had a developing problem. Then the failure took a turn for the worse almost immediately (that can of fizzy drink wasn't mopped off the server fast enough) and it went down completely, and that is why we panicked. A stop and restart has brought it all back up nicely.

Sorry again for the noise. Just wanted to give this thread with a happy ending, with beer.

-- Jason
Message has been deleted

John Butler

Feb 23, 2015, 12:40:32 PM2/23/15
to super-...@googlegroups.com
No problem, glad you got it sorted. Monday potential crisis avoided!