Some people have said that they want to help however they are unsure where they can fit in. I have put some time into thinking of the various tasks / job descriptions that need filling. This is not an exhaustive list but it might help you to understand where you might fit in. Some of these tasks will take a few hours and some will take longer…indeed some might be undertaken by multiple people…regardless if you want to contribute you might fit into one of these roles:
The Business Side
1) we need a video that describes our goal in a pithy way. I really like the whiteboard video format (like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6vXYq8Vm8s
). Have you ever made one of these? Can you help us to put one together?
2) we need to decide on which opensource licence to use. What is the difference between the GPL, BSD, Apache and Mozilla licences? Can you tell us? Once we decide which licence method to use can you help us by drawing up a contributors agreement?
3) once we agree the licence we are going to use and we have a contributors agreement drawn up we need to ensure that everybody signs it. We need somebody to issue the agreements, collect signed copies and then keep a log.
4) we would like a website. nothing special, perhaps using a ‘one page template’ such as one here: https://onepagelove.com/templates
Can you join a small team to help us to design one? perhaps you can help with the photos, or the compression for the graphics, or the text or the web hosting?
5) we need to protect the IP in a legal entity. I have experience with CIC’s (community interest companies). Is this the best way to proceed? Do you know the difference between the various types of companies? Can you help us out by explaining the difference between them so that we can decide the best way to protect the IP for the communities best interests?
6) IT. We will have a domain registered, a third party version control service (CodebaseHQ or Github perhaps), we will probably share files using a commercial file sharing service like Spideroak and we will perhaps have a few software licences for specialist software. Can you help us to keep ontop of this? I don’t expect we will need IT support, just somebody who has all of the account passwords and knows when things need to be paid.
The Engineering Side
1) do you know anything about solar panels? or solar cells? If so do you want to tell us what you know? Perhaps you can help us to choose a cell that has optimum price, solar gain and quality?
2) are you a roofing contractor or do you know anything about roofing? If so can you help us understand what slate / tile design we should design for? What are the practical issues you can see with our ideas?
3) Do you know how to use CAD software? If so can you help us to design a slate / tile?
4) Do you know anything about plastics? can you help us choose a cheap, versatile and hard wearing plastic for the tiles?
5) Do you know anything about how to design engineering parts for high volume production? We want to ensure that our parts can be manufactured using high volume production processes so that we can ensure a very low part price.
6) are you an electrician? perhaps you can help us understand the plathora of industry standards we need to design to?
7) an electrician can also help us to specify cabling, trunking and interconnects. We want something that is easy to install, lightweight, low cost and interoperable with existing systems….oh…and will last 20-25 years ;)