GE free Gibsons

Mike

Nov 16, 2009, 7:49:58 PM11/16/09
to Sunshine Coast Seed Saving Collective
Around BC, six communities have resolved to be genetically engineered
free zones. The purpose of this letter is to find out if Gibsons is
ready to join the list.

A resolution would serve to organize resistance to GE crops and food.
The issue is broad, and, as a collective, we can decide how to shape
future policies.

Personally, my objective is to protect the local gene pool from
contamination, and share with the public that most non-organic corn,
soy and canola grown is North America are genetically modified
organisms. “Up to 70 per cent of processed foods found in grocery
stores contain or may contain GE ingredients.”

Successfully passing the motion in council will be the foundation for
change. It is like putting a “kick me” sign on a bully. This campaign
is guiding British Columbia to become a GE free province.

As a course of action in the “guide to passing a municipal resolution
in your community,” they make these suggestions (for explanations,
follow the link below):

Gather a coalition of concerned farmers and residents
Survey your town council
Gather public signatures
Identify council member allies
Outreach to the media

Canadian G.E. Free Zones to date:

1. Powell River, BC - 2004
2. Salt Spring Island, BC - 2004
3. Nelson, BC - 2008
4. Kaslo, BC - 2009
5. Rossland, BC - 2009
6. New Denver, BC - 2009

Recommended reading:

A sample resolution against the cultivation of GE crops and a guide to
passing a municipal resolution in your community
http://www.canadians.org/food/issues/Canada/guide.html

Audio documentation of the council process, and more links
http://kootenaycoopradio.com/deconstructingdinner/gefreezones.htm

Vision statement from http://www.gefreebc.org/gefree_tmpl.php?content=home

“GE-Free BC envisions a food-sovereign Canada where no Genetically
Engineered life forms are created, patented, approved, bought, sold or
traded. Where Canada is a leader in safe and sustainable agriculture
and is known as a GE-Free Nation. Where Canada actively secures
international agreements that preserve regional bio-diversity and
promote food sovereignty. Where community based farmers have the right
and ability to farm and save seed from year to year. This vision is
aimed to protect the health and sustainability of communities, animals
and ecosystems.”

“The largest share of the GMO crops planted globally are owned by
Monsanto Company, according to the company. In 2007, Monsanto’s trait
technologies were planted on 246 million acres (1,000,000 km2)
throughout the world.”

“Roundup fries everything but the soybean”

Duane

Nov 16, 2009, 8:09:27 PM11/16/09
to sunshin...@googlegroups.com

Robin Chauhan

Nov 21, 2009, 5:04:39 PM11/21/09
to Sunshine Coast Seed Saving Collective
Great post, Mike.

In my opinion, the fastest way to get somewhere, is probably to be
guided by those who've already figured it out.

For a complicated project like this, it would be great to be able to
talk directly to the masterminds that made it happen in other places.

Did you find contact information for anyone involved with these
successes? (I didnt after a brief look at these links). I bet they'd
be happy and proud to share with us.

=R