Seed Saving Action!

Carlie Sanford

Oct 29, 2010, 10:29:12 PM10/29/10
to sunshin...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone!
This is a brief introduction of myself and email to urge you guys to get your seed forms in!
My name is Carlie Sanford, and I grew up on the Sunshine Coast (roberts creek!!). I am an artisan, care-worker, and gardener-in-training. I am taking robin and delvins permaculture course, and am going to be helping robin to organize the seed-saving society and inventorize the seeds.

SO... here is the important information...
If you have saved seeds and taken robins course in proper seed saving technique, it is vitally important that we start this library of seeds. You are our seed heros!!     :)
YOU NEED TO:
go to this link:
http://www.ffcf.bc.ca/resources/seedSaving.html
this link is the seed saving segment from the farm folk city folk website.
You will need to fill out:
Seed Data Base Grower Information Sheet
as well you can download on this page the individual forms for different types of plants.( found in list at the bottom of the webpage page.)
If possible to print out two copies and fill out both for our records, that would be fabulous!

You may also fill out the online form from the sunshine coast seed saving collective, but primarily we would like the full forms hand filled for our files. This is due to recent activities with large seed companies, and the traceability of online forms etc.
please contact me once you have your forms filled out and we can make arrangemements to recieve the forms from you.
carlie....@gmail.com or 740 5376

thank you all for your time,

carlie

Maggie Kalve-Guzzi

Oct 31, 2010, 9:40:44 PM10/31/10
to sunshin...@googlegroups.com
Hi I think I need my hand held, I have some tomatoes and
flowers that I save, not sure how to get it in the data
base, i clicked on a site and tried to type it in , but it
wouldn't let me, then i figured out i shoud print it out and
make 2 copies, i might call you anyways, carlie, thanks
maggie

>This is a brief introduction of myself and email to urge
>you guys to get your seed forms in!
>My name is Carlie Sanford, and I grew up on the Sunshine
>Coast (roberts creek!!). I am an artisan, care-worker, and
>gardener-in-training. I am taking robin and delvins
>permaculture course, and am going to be helping robin to
>organize the seed-saving society and inventorize the seeds.
>
>SO... here is the important information...
>If you have saved seeds and taken robins course in proper
>seed saving technique, it is vitally important that we
>start this library of seeds. You are our seed heros!!
>:) YOU NEED TO:
>go to this link:
>http://www.ffcf.bc.ca/resources/seedSaving.html
>this link is the seed saving segment from the farm folk
>city folk website. You will need to fill out:
>Seed Data Base Grower Information

>Sheet<http://www.ffcf.bc.ca/resources/ResourceDocs/SeedPDFs
>/Grower%20Info%20Sheet.pdf> as well you can download on

Denise Lagassé

Nov 2, 2010, 12:09:54 AM11/2/10
to sunshin...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for taking this on Carlie.  I have my forms filled out for Lutz beets and red orach.  Next year I will have more seeds.  My Cherokee Trail of Tear beans did not have enough time to fully ripen and dry.   Where do you want the seed forms sent?  I can pop them in the mailbox.

One thing I feel that is important is not to act in secrecy, or fear or mistrust.   That is how the people in those large corporations act.  It is the negative energy and mentality that creates these problems.  Let us all be clear and proud and hold vision of what we want to happen for the Earth.  Maybe they will trace us to a light that shines and inspires them.

Green blessings
Denise

On 29/10/10 19:29, "Carlie Sanford" <carlie....@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Everyone!
This is a brief introduction of myself and email to urge you guys to get your seed forms in!
My name is Carlie Sanford, and I grew up on the Sunshine Coast (roberts creek!!). I am an artisan, care-worker, and gardener-in-training. I am taking robin and delvins permaculture course, and am going to be helping robin to organize the seed-saving society and inventorize the seeds.

SO... here is the important information...
If you have saved seeds and taken robins course in proper seed saving technique, it is vitally important that we start this library of seeds. You are our seed heros!!     :)
YOU NEED TO:
go to this link:
http://www.ffcf.bc.ca/resources/seedSaving.html
this link is the seed saving segment from the farm folk city folk website.
You will need to fill out:

Mike Hesla

Nov 2, 2010, 12:51:18 AM11/2/10
to sunshin...@googlegroups.com
"
Let us all be clear and proud and hold vision of what we want to happen for the Earth.  Maybe they will trace us to a light that shines and inspires them."
Wise words, Denise.  Thanks for giving to the good cause, Carlie.
Mike
--
Shining Sage Catering
http://shiningsagecatering.com

Carlie Sanford

Nov 2, 2010, 1:08:47 AM11/2/10
to sunshin...@googlegroups.com
thanks denisse,
yes, i personally am not too concerned about the traceability either, but I think robin is correct in that the paper versions are more secure in case something does happen to the online files whatever the reason.

If you want to mail the forms to me, my addres is

3396 Beach Avenue,
Roberts Creek, BC
v0n 2w2

thanks !!

carlie

Carlie Sanford

Nov 2, 2010, 1:10:53 AM11/2/10
to sunshin...@googlegroups.com
Sure maggie, feel free to call me if you like. The forms are at the bottom of this site based on the species or family (not sure on that, i'd have to ask robin about the classifications) and if you print them out that would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

carlie

Robin Chauhan

Nov 2, 2010, 12:33:54 PM11/2/10
to sunshin...@googlegroups.com
(Note, this is Robin the computer nerd, not Robin Wheeler!)

To add to an interesting debate on online vs paper files, here are my thoughts on the topic, probably in far more depth than you would like =) :

1) Longevity: Paper files cannot be deleted of course.  But they can be lost or  destroyed.  With the electronic version, its very easy to print a new copy.  Making periodic printouts of the list will provide equal or greater longevity than using the paper-only system.  So this is not a strong point in favor of paper, although it is raised often.

2) Traceability:  I agree that online data is much more traceable, and the big companies and govt cannot be trusted.  However, the data is stored with Google, who has the best history in this regard amongst the web companies, does not cooperate with Chinese govt, and has challenged US authorities requests for data, etc.  Though I realize thats no guarantee.  This could be improved by using a private service (see below).

Traceability could also be improved by ensuring we dont store people's real names and addresses online; a silly nickname that corresponds to a separate, paper-based list that has real names/addresses, might be a step forward on this.

3) Searchability, sharability, etc:  Ultimately if the project succeeds in building a sizable library of seeds, and we want to promote a similar approach in other communities, a digital system would be far easier to replicate, and to search across multiple communities.  In fact, eventually I would expect the paper data to be entered into a computer anyway, so it could be searched!

Right now, for starting out, I dont think it matters too much.  If we want to avoid any online entries entirely, it might make sense to disable that form altogether (I can help Carlie with that as needed).

Once the library gets bigger it might be worthwhile considering a more secure online approach, providing the best of both worlds.  For example, running the site off of servers in a country that would not hand over files to US/Can govt, making it encrypted and password protected, designing the system so it cant be casually searched, seed owners are not identified, separating the entry part from the storage/search part, etc.  I do think thats a ways down the line, but it sounds like fun and I would love to be involved!  =)

=Robin C
--
Robin R Chauhan
CEO, Pathway Intelligence Inc

Robin Wheeler

Nov 2, 2010, 1:47:23 PM11/2/10
to sunshin...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Robin C. This is an important and valid debate. I think we need both systems. The digital one can be more accessible to all at any time of the day or night. But the emergencies we need to discuss that make seed saving important include serious earthquake as well as solar flares, which apparently will surge in the next year or two and is under discussion by those dependant on satellite relay. So it is great to say we will ALWAYS have computer access, but I do have books that are over 100 years old, and indeed, I can read them by candlelight. I am not trying to be a survivalist, but BC Seeds themselves deem the paper copy to be an important component of a seed plan. So - I say we have to use both to their fullest capacity!
But discuss onwards - we need to investigate every corner and cranny.
Robin W.