Greetings from the Upper Sunshine Coast!

wendy

Dec 2, 2009, 4:43:28 PM12/2/09
to sunshin...@googlegroups.com
Seedywen here.  One of the editors of the Seed Savers of Powell River blog.
Basically at this point, we're a committee of six, organizing the annual Seedy Saturday by meeting once a month, Sept.-March.

Our sponsoring group is the P.R. Farmers' Institute, a non-profit society in this area since 1915 with a mandate to promote regional sustainability.  However the F.I. as it is affectionately known, is liasoning with the Transitional Town, Kale Force, the local garden clubs and other groups working towards the same goal.

We've got a local seed-saving initiative going, first the Seed-Saving Project O9, now 2010.  With some 35 people signed up, and saving seeds for this pilot project.
Tonight we've called a meeting for all members of the project, to bring their seeds in and network, network, network:)

Check out our blog:

If you're interested in swapping seeds with us or coming to our Seedy Saturday on March 13, 2010.  The more, the merrier!

Robin Wheeler

Dec 2, 2009, 6:44:03 PM12/2/09
to sunshin...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the update, Wendy! Our Seedy Saturday is March 6 so maybe there will be some cross-over. Our sponsor is the One Straw Society, an organic growers group. We have over 130 lifetime members in that, but only about 20 or so in our seed saving group, which we are just pulling together. We need to do more networking here for sure, and get all those seeds and growers recorded. I suppose I better fill out my own damn form!
Good to hear from you -
Robin

Maria Hunter

Dec 15, 2009, 1:50:49 PM12/15/09
to sunshin...@googlegroups.com, sunshin...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

Hope you're staying warm and dry!

Two things:

1) I'd like to suggest we get together in January to do a couple of cooperative seed orders, (could save everyone a lot of $!) and any seed trading and sharing that others would like...and organizing...anyone know of a free venue for us?

2) Robin W. just called to request we all try out the new seed database, which can be found at our new website: www.sunseeds.ca

If we each put in one seed, we can test the system, and get some seed data in there - essential information for our seed collective!

Maria

jean-jacques lachance

Dec 15, 2009, 10:17:47 PM12/15/09
to sunshin...@googlegroups.com
Please  take my name out of your e-mail list until further notice, I am leeving on dec 21st for at least  2 month and I dont want my computer to be overwelmed by any correspondance during my absence  ...   JJ       Return preview for mid february...

Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 10:50:49 -0800
Subject: [sunshine-seeds] seed database
To: sunshin...@googlegroups.com
CC: sunshin...@googlegroups.com
From: MHu...@selfdesign.org

Tirez parti d’une offre Windows 7 exceptionnelle, et voyez comment il vous simplifie la vie. Explorez maintenant les offres Windows 7.

Maria Hunter

Jan 2, 2010, 1:43:30 PM1/2/10
to sunshin...@googlegroups.com, sunshin...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

Robin, I checked out the brocolli at chilternseeds and it looks great. I'd definitely like to get some 9 star perennial and sprouting, etc.  I'd also like to order from Stellar Seeds, too.

It would be wonderful to get together for a bulk seed order, and we could do that at my place Sunday Jan. 10, at 2:00 if anyone belonging to the seed collective would like to. We can split packs or bulk orders of seeds, and share shipping costs.

Please RSVP to me via this listserve if you are interested in coming. There's space for about 8-10 folks here. I can then give you directions to my place in Wilson Creek.

Maria

Robin Wheeler

Jan 2, 2010, 2:31:47 PM1/2/10
to sunshin...@googlegroups.com
I'm in, Maria! Could you post this on the One Straw forum as well? Might get some more takers -
Robin W.

Alyson Russell

Jan 2, 2010, 2:43:16 PM1/2/10
to sunshin...@googlegroups.com
i'm in too. i need to do an order anyways so this is a good way for all of us saving on costs and working together with a "food and growing" plan.
Alyson Russell

From: rob...@telus.net
To: sunshin...@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [sunshine-seeds] seed order
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2010 11:31:47 -0800

Get a great deal on Windows 7 and see how it works the way you want. Check out the offers on Windows 7now.

Maria Hunter

Jan 2, 2010, 4:03:55 PM1/2/10
to sunshin...@googlegroups.com, sunshin...@googlegroups.com
Hi Robin and Alyson,

Great, so we are three so far, and I have room for 5 more comfortably. Robin, good idea about the One Straw listserve, however I'd like to wait and give the seed collective listserve members a chance.

You are a big thinker...I can be too, but right now I am concerned about having a manageable group, and getting the seed order in pronto. I will coordinate the order, and distribute too, but I have found that if I don't get on certain varieities in jan, they are sold out.

So, what do you (and others) think about planning or holding another in later Jan if there is interest, or early Feb? That could go to a wider audience and larger venue, if anyone has one...I have not heard of one available yet.

Maria

Robin Wheeler

Jan 2, 2010, 4:27:22 PM1/2/10
to sunshin...@googlegroups.com
that is great, Maria - hold off on the One Straw til later if desirable. I can hold 10 - 12 here. But I doubt we will get that -
Jan 3, 2010, 6:07:26 PM1/3/10
to sunshin...@googlegroups.com
Hi Maggie,

Great, why don't you come at 3:30 if you can, and you can add in to whatever we have come up with so far...I'm thinking we'll wrap up around 4:00...

See you then! Maria

Alyson Russell

Jan 3, 2010, 11:36:28 PM1/3/10
to sunshin...@googlegroups.com
OK. so, January 10th at 4pm is great.
sounds great to me.
Alyson

Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 15:07:26 -0800

Maria Hunter

Jan 4, 2010, 1:32:07 PM1/4/10
to sunshin...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alyson,

It's actually still 2:00 that we will meet, it's just that Maggie has a rehearsal and she'll come at 3:30. Hope 2:00 still works for you so that we can get most of it done by then!

Thanks, Maria

Merrily IDP

Jan 4, 2010, 3:13:01 PM1/4/10
to sunshin...@googlegroups.com
Hi Robin
Could you please send emails to me on another address now.  merr...@dccnet.com   Thanks
Merrily

Sent: Saturday, January 02, 2010 1:27 PM

that is great, Maria - hold off on the One Straw til later if desirable. I can hold 10 - 12 here. But I doubt we will get that -

Alyson Russell

Jan 4, 2010, 9:55:16 PM1/4/10
to sunshin...@googlegroups.com
Hello Maria...
sounds great to me. i will be there for 2pm on the 10th. except. where am i going?
Alyson

Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 10:32:07 -0800

Get Windows 7 for only $39.99-CDN College or University students only. This offer ends Jan 3-upgrade now!

Maria Hunter

Jan 4, 2010, 10:23:45 PM1/4/10
to sunshin...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alyson and Maggie,

Maggie, you were here years back but just in case, and for you, Alyson, here's the location of my place. The access gravel lane is in between Tyson and Blower Roads, just off the highway in Wilson Creek. If you are coming from Gibsons way, go past Tyson Road on your right, and then turn on your blinker to the right and turn right down an unmarked gravel lane immediately after the 60 km sign. Go down the lane, past the red mailbox (my neighbour) and then through the trees. The lane turns into my driveway. You can park in the circle driveway near the mobile home, and then walk to the right toward the house, where we'll be.

My neighbours, at the top near the highway, are 4180 and 4194 Sunshine Coast Hwy. They are on either side of the lane.

My ph is 885 6070 just in case. If you go too far down the highway you'll come to the IGA mall, which is a few more blocks down.

Maria