running time

mohammad safarzadeh

Feb 18, 2013, 4:17:50 PM2/18/13
to sunri...@googlegroups.com
I am running a test run , and I see that a day it takes 32 hours to finish the run and in another day 48 hours is not enough!
I contacted the people on the machine which is shared memory
 and they told me that you are I/O bound and asked me these question:

If you are I/O bound, are you doing your I/O in large chunks?

Have you profiled you code to figure out where it might be spending all
the time?

How much data does your job read?  How much does it write?  When does
it do either (all at the beginning and end, or throughout execution)?
These kinds of things can affect start time, end time, and general
execution time.

Chris Hayward

Feb 19, 2013, 10:09:25 AM2/19/13
to sunri...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mohammad,

Typically, my runs are not I/O-bound, so I am surprised to hear this. However, as explained previously, it is very difficult to comment on such issues without seeing your parameter files and outputs and knowing details about the input simulations. Furthermore, we cannot do profiling for you. I suggest that you perform this with a collaborator who is familiar with profiling code.

Cheers,

Chris

Chris Hayward
Heidelberger Institut für Theoretische Studien
Schloss-Wolfsbrunnenweg 35
69118 Heidelberg, Germany
Google Voice: +1 (617) 744-9416
Office: +49 6221 533 284