Issues with maps

Deb Baker

Aug 31, 2023, 12:02:59 PM8/31/23
to will.t...@gmail.com, su...@googlegroups.com

Hi Will,

I have run into a problem and I am not sure how to categorize it.  I obtained JSOC cutout fits files for HMI and continuum data.  I make and plot the map from the fits files.  Then I make a submap of the original map and plot it.  The coordinates of the submap do not match desired coordinate of the first map (to make a submap).  Please see attached Figure_1 and Figure_2.  There is a Sunpy user warning which is shown in Figure_3.  I assume this is related to the problem.

This is the first time I have not been able to use the simple map lines of the code in Figure_3.  And I don’t understand why there is an issue with coordinates and where/how do I use autoalign=true.  Can you please help with this problem?

As always, thank you for your help.

Deb

Figure_3.pdf
Figure_1.png
Figure_2.png

Albert Y. Shih

Aug 31, 2023, 12:19:10 PM8/31/23
to su...@googlegroups.com, will.t...@gmail.com

Hi, Deb,

     The “problem” is that you are selecting the `qt` backend in your notebook but not explicitly creating a new figure for your submap `plot()` call.  So, your code is unintentionally trying to overplot the submap onto the original map, which is why the warning message is being emitted and why the coordinates on the tick labels are wrong for the submap.  The submap itself is fine.  Try creating a fresh figure for the submap plot.

Thanks,

Albert

d.bak...@gmail.com

Sep 1, 2023, 9:11:22 AM9/1/23
to SunPy
Hi Albert,
Thank you very much for solving the 'problem'!  I appreciate your prompt reply.
Deb