sunpy 2.0.6 released with important submap change

Stuart Mumford

Dec 18, 2020, 6:47:43 PM12/18/20
to su...@googlegroups.com, sunp...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

The SunPy developers are happy to announce the latest release of SunPy v2.0.6. This release contains a regular set of small bug fixes, but one major change from previous releases in the 2.0 series.

Late last week, I noticed that the behaviour of the submap method of Map, when using world coordinates, had a major change in behaviour in the original 2.0 release. This was an oversight while standardising the way we handled specifying rectangular regions of interest (for submap and draw_rectangle etc).

The upshot of this change was that submap was converting the two corner world coordinates to pixel coordinates and then cropping the map based on these two pixel coordinates. This means that if the world grid was not aligned to the pixel grid the whole rectangle in world coordinates was not in the resulting cropped map, unlike in 1.0 and 1.1.

We have now rectified this, restoring the behaviour back to what it was in 1.1, and added tests to ensure this behaviour is maintained in the future. Anyone using submap with world coordinates your results will change with this bug fix. For those of you which have been relying on the behaviour in 2.0 see the changelog entry for a way to restore the old behaviour.

Sorry for any inconvenience this causes anyone.

To update you can run these following commands:

Pip users:

pip install -U sunpy

Conda Users:

conda update sunpy