PFSS in Cartesian system

Vishal Upendran

Jan 12, 2021, 3:43:33 AM1/12/21
to su...@googlegroups.com
Hi Folks,

I was looking around for a PFSS extrapolator for a cutout in the Cartesian system, and I couldn't find any. It seems like the PFSS code from GX simulator is used frequently (https://web.njit.edu/~gnita/gx_simulator_help/index.htm?page=Selecting_the_Extrapolation_Engine.htm), and hence I have written the same code in python. The code is based on the algorithm by Nakagawa and Raadu (1972), a Fourier transform based code.

I was thinking of contributing it to PFSSPy, and wanted to make it consistent with the existing flow. Do I open a merge request to pfsspy to start with? How do I proceed?

Cheers,

Vishal
--
Vishal Upendran,
Graduate student, Inter-University Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics (IUCAA),

David Stansby

Jan 13, 2021, 4:02:17 PM1/13/21
to su...@googlegroups.com
Hi Vishal,

That sounds exciting - I'd definitely be keen to have a Cartesian solver in pfsspy. It should have a similar workflow to the current spherical solver, which is broadly

1. Create an `Input` object, from a sunpy Map and any parameters needed for the solver (e.g. number of grid points)
2. Run a `solve` function, with the `Input` object as input
3. Return an `Output` object which stores the result

If you're comfortable taking a go at opening a PR to start that then I think that would be the best place to start - if you have any questions feel free to ask. The best place is probably the pfsspy chat room, https://matrix.to/#/!PgbzaAnvsryxlXRHJl:matrix.org?via=matrix.org&via=t2bot.io

All the best,
David

Vishal Upendran

Jan 15, 2021, 3:34:57 AM1/15/21
to su...@googlegroups.com
Hi David,

Awesome, that sounds great. I shall refactor the code with the similar workflow and open a PR soon!

Thanks,

Vishal

--
Vishal Upendran,
Senior Research Fellow, Inter-University Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics (IUCAA),