Different SDO file name conventions in retrieving data through JSOC??

Tom Bridgman

Nov 18, 2022, 11:44:21 AM11/18/22
to SunPy
I was testing some SunPy data scripts between my office and home system (both Python 3.10, SunPy 4.0.4) and encountered a strange difference in the FITS files retrieved using Fido.

Office machine is CentOS7 and retrieved files have this name convention
aia.lev1_euv_12s.2011-09-25T020001Z.171.image_lev1.fits

Home machine is Ubuntu 22.04 and retrieved files look like this:
aia_lev1_171a_2011_09_25t02_59_49_10z_image_lev1.fits

'aia.' is now 'aia_', wavelength & timestamp with different ordering and format.  This difference exists in files that I've downloaded in recent weeks/days.  There is (was?) a difference in file names downloaded via JSOC vs non-JSOC mode.

Makes it a bit tricky to scan local directories for files matching a filter or time criteria.

Can anyone shed any insight on this filename difference?

Thanks,
Tom

Nabil Freij

Nov 18, 2022, 1:54:58 PM11/18/22
to SunPy
Hello Tom,

I personally can't think of a reason for the filenames being different between UNIX systems.

I can imagine that VSO and JSOC will serve the filenames slightly differently but it isn't something that I have looked into.

Cheers,
Nabil

Tom Bridgman

Nov 18, 2022, 3:13:02 PM11/18/22
to SunPy
Yeah.  That's the only difference between the two configurations that are obvious.  Both were using the JSOC options through SunPy/Fido.

I was hoping to make this script generally available for others to generate long media-quality movies but this raises interesting questions if data retrievals are done on different platforms.

Tom