Cut out poles from synoptic magnetograms

Paolo Pagano

Jan 8, 2024, 10:39:39 AMJan 8
to SunPy
sorry in advance for our silly this may sound.

I do have a synoptic magnetogram map extracted from a fits file in this way

hmi_map = sunpy.map.Map('/Users/paolopagano/Desktop/Solar/SolO_Eruption_042021/hmi.synoptic_mr_polfil_720s.2246.Mr_polfil.fits')

in this way I get a 2D array of
> print('shape: ', hmi_map.data.shape)

shape:  (1440, 3600)

from which I would like to cut off the northernmost and southernmost bands, so that it will become, let's say

 (1440, 3400)

if I remove the 100 northernmost pixels and the 100 southernmost pixels.

anything I have tried hasn't succeeded.
Any suggestion?

Paolo

Albert Y. Shih

Jan 12, 2024, 11:32:01 AMJan 12
to su...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Paolo,
    Sorry for the slow response!  Can you elaborate on what you have tried? You’ll likely want to use the `submap()` method of your `hmi_map` object:

Also, I’ll point out that the dimension with 3600 pixels is the longitude direction, so that will not be the dimension that gets smaller if you cut off the north and south poles.

Albert