Sun images previuos to SDO

Felipe Meza

Aug 23, 2023, 10:28:04 AM8/23/23
to su...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks, is there any instrument in sunpy to obtain images previous to 2010? Actually we are using AIA from SDO for images from 2010, but not sure if sunpy can download images from (for example) SOHO for previous to 2010 images. In case yes, what is the name of the instrument? If not, is there any way to do that using sunpy?

Thanks,

Nabil Freij

Aug 23, 2023, 11:32:41 AM8/23/23
to SunPy
Hello,

I think you will be after SOHO's Extreme ultraviolet Imaging Telescope (EIT).
That should be accessible from the VSO.

Cheers

Stuart Mumford

Aug 23, 2023, 11:48:25 AM8/23/23
to su...@googlegroups.com
It is but only the level 0 data and the calibration code is only in SSW.
Stuart

Frédéric Auchère

Aug 25, 2023, 4:41:06 AM8/25/23
to SunPy
A database of calibrated SOHO/EIT data was just created by the PI institute (IAS) and is being ingested into the ESA system right now. Should be available soon.
In the meantime, if you need specific data, I could give you access to the calibrated files.

Frédéric

Stuart Mumford

Aug 25, 2023, 5:27:35 AM8/25/23
to su...@googlegroups.com
That's awesome to hear Frédéric I look forward to seeing what people can do with the whole EIT archive!
Stuart

will.t...@gmail.com

Aug 25, 2023, 10:27:32 AM8/25/23
to SunPy
In addition to EIT, there is also EUVI on the STEREO spacecraft which was taking data ~4 years prior to the launch of SDO. The data are not from the same viewpoint as SDO, but the EUV channels are the same as EIT (171,195, 284, 304) and also have a lot of overlap with the AIA channels. Below is an example of how to search for EUVI data with sunpy. The instrument name is SECCHI because EUVI is part of the SECCHI instrument package on the spacecraft.

q = Fido.search(a.Time('2009-10-15 02:00:00', '2009-10-15 03:00:00'),
                             a.Instrument.secchi,
                             a.Wavelength(171*u.AA))

Best,

Will