Aligning data

Richard Morton

Sep 9, 2020, 5:28:34 AM9/9/20
to SunPy
Hi,

Does sunpy have any tools to do sub-pixel alignment of a sequence images? Something along the lines of tr_get_disp or fg_rigidalign in SolarSoft.

I can't seem to find it, if it does exist.

Cheers,
  Richard

Richard Morton

Sep 9, 2020, 5:31:20 AM9/9/20
to SunPy
Apologise, ignore that. I found it! (face palm)

Richard Morton

Sep 9, 2020, 6:05:52 AM9/9/20
to SunPy
Hi again,

Now that I have taken a look at the code, it appears that all images are registered with respect to a single template image.

However, in most situations (at least for the work I do), I have found that alignment is much more accurate if images are aligned in small batches, e.g. 4, and then aligned to the original frame. This follows the philosophy of fg_rigidalign .

The reason is, that over reasonable length image sequences, the atmosphere can evolve and the template does not match features in later images.

Would it be possible to add this feature to sunpy? Happy to develop this functionality.

Stuart Mumford

Sep 9, 2020, 6:39:05 AM9/9/20
to su...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like it would be a great addition to the alignement module!

The best thing todo would be to open an issue on the GitHub repo for it
and then we can use that to discuss the implementation and help you
through contributing it :)

Stuart
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sunpy/65255903-f548-4ebc-a45a-366bd7fdb4c2n%40googlegroups.com
> .

Richard Morton

Sep 9, 2020, 6:42:56 AM9/9/20
to SunPy
Okay, great.

I'll open an issue in the next couple of days to kick this off.

Richard