Rename of master branch to main

Nabil Freij

May 4, 2021, 6:20:41 AM5/4/21
to sunp...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

I hope you are all well on this sunny Tuesday.

I wanted to alert you all to the forthcoming change (this week) to the sunpy repository.
We will be renaming master to main using Github's new tooling.
In theory this will change all remote forks for us.

When this is done, you will need to manually update your local git folders to either rename master to main, or delete master and checkout the new main branch.

If you have any questions or concerns please let me know.

Many thanks,
Nabil

Nabil Freij

May 5, 2021, 12:46:56 PM5/5/21
to sunp...@googlegroups.com
Quick followup for the git commands:

git branch -m master main
git fetch upstream
You will want to rename the master branch on your fork as well.

git branch -u origin/main main
git remote set-head origin -a
git remote update -p