Training news

Moti Dichne

Jul 8, 2024, 1:49:34 PMJul 8
to Sumo Newsletter2
Yokozuna Terunofuji trained at home today- 9 bouts against Nishikifuji and others. No talking to strange reporters later. Both knees and both elbows taped up. Fundamentals, then some bouts checking out stuff, then explaining how to stay in the dohyo when being pushed back to some Makushita rikishi. "He is doing what he can.." said the Oyakata.

Juryo ex-beast till he was injured Hakuouhou trained at home at Isegahama beya today, facing Atamifuji, Nishikifuji and others. Last basho he left with that nagging arm injury he has. He lost some weight but appears now to have regained it. "My condition has become better and IO am able to train well, " he said. "I've fallen on the Banzuke but I want to contend for the Juryo yusho and return to Makuuchi," he declared.

Another relative newcomer Juryo Takerufuji who took the yusho by storm in March and missed last basho, dropping back to Juryo, has yet to do any sumo, but says he intends to enter. He has been doing some butsugari and fundamentals. "My feeling towards entering has never changed (meaning he intends to enter..). At this point I m doing my best to do all I can," he said.

Oonosato Ozeki run? "I'm not really thinking about it," he said. He trained at home with Juryo Shirokuma and others and was 7-4.  Last night he had his yusho parade in his hometown and returned to the heya after 11 PM. "I went right to bed so I was able to train as usual," he explained.