YDC convenes

Moti Dichne

Jan 23, 2023, 10:51:09 AM1/23/23
to Sumo Newsletter2
About Terunofuji,  "I have been advised that he has donned a mawashi and is doing the basic moves  and lending his chest in in training in preparation for his return. I personally am looking forward to seeing him mount the dohyo next basho, but we as the YDC shouldn't be repeatedly asking him to show up. It's better if we could see him as soon as possible, but  we'd like to see him in perfect shape when he does. He has undergone serious surgery  and we have high hopes for him, but I think that  the YDC calling him to enter now because we have high hopes is a bit of an exaggeration.." said YDC chairman Komura. Mr. Komura (80)  will be retiring from his post as chairman and Mr. Yamauchi (75, Professor Emeritus Tokyo University) will be his successor.

As for Takakeishou's tsuna run this basho with the 12-3 record- There was some talk amongst the members that this warranted at least a discussion that never was."We'll have to wait and see his record and the quality of his sumo next basho. Most members maintained that it wasn't a high-level yusho, so there really isn't much to discuss,"  said Chairman Komura. "We'll see how he does next basho and we will consider the question depending on how well he does..We have not put a number on his wins next basho that will get him promoted, we shall see," summed the Chairman.