Training news

Moti Dichne

Jul 2, 2024, 11:38:40 AM (5 days ago) Jul 2
to Sumo Newsletter2
As usual after the Banzuke announcement, the boys are beginning to train seriously.
Yokozuna Terunofuji faced 8 guys from makushita today. He did not respond to the press. He started off with the fundamentals and broke a nice sweat. He had supporters on both knees and both elbows, checking out his tachiai and his edge of the ring sense. He was seen speaking a lot to his Oyakata. Seeing as he is noticeable favoring his elbows and knees, it will be interesting to see how he deals with this.

Kadoban Ozeki Takakeishou being his usual snarky self. "9th kadoban? What has that got to do with anything? I can only concentrate on myself.." he said. His neck injury has not gone away. He has yet to do any sumo training. Shiko, teppole, and suriashi are all he can manage for now. "He still needs to really be careful about hitting with the head, " said his Master. He will become 28 in a month or so. "I've been in full control of myself. My condition isn't that bad," he insisted. He is planning on going for degeiko. We shall see if his Ozeki stubbornness will help him somehow turn things around, says the reporter.