Rikishi talk day 3

Moti Dichne

Sep 14, 2021, 7:40:02 PM9/14/21
to Sumo Newsletter2

Day 3:

Myougiryuu, beating Hidenoumi who thought it was a matta - now 3-0: "The gyoji did not stop the bout, so I went forward. I'm able to go about it feeling good.."

Ura,  losing decisively and going 0-3: "I was pressured.. I want to gambarize so I can win.."

Kotonowaka, winning easily today. Tomorrow he faces a sanyaku opponent for the first time,  the Wonderful Mr. Meisei: " If I go about it frantically it will be OK.  All I can do is give it my all.."

Kiribayama, beating Takayasu in a 3 minute 15 second bout for his third straight win: "I knew my opponent was suffering as well so i was able to persevere till the end."

Wakatakakage, first loss today at the hands of the Wonderful Mr. Meisei: "I was able to have a proper tachiai but the ensuing flow was not so good.."

Ichinojou, beating Takakeishou for his first win: "I'm happy to get my first win. I am aiming for kachikoshi!"

Hokutofuji facing Terunofuji tomorrow: "I'm looking forward to it. I want to go all out and do my own own brand of sumo!"

Takanoshou, unable to do much against Terunofuji: "I knew that if he got hold of my mawashi there was no way I could win so I though I should move around a lot. He caught me in the end.."

Takarafuji, now the sole leader of active rikishi with 768 consecutive Makuuchi matches, overtaking Hakuhou: "I don't hold many records like this, so I'll want to continue to take this seriously."

Meisei, getting his first win as a Sekiwake: "I had attacking in mind as I mounted the dohyo. Same as every day. I'm going about it while believing in myself."

Mitakeumi,  strong attack and pushes Houshouryuu out: "I was only thinking about doing my own brand of sumo.  I was able to win without stopping!"

Terunofuji,  calmly getting hold of Takanoshou and getting his third win: "I'm glad i was able to calmly move forward. I was thinking of going about it without rushing things."

Shoudai, second win: "I feel I'm beginning to go with the positive flow.. I feel I'm in the same condition I was when I won my yusho.  I hope my body will be moving well. I want to stay at one loss  and be involved in the yusho race till the end.."

Takakeishou, third straight loss: "I'm trying to do my best to win every day, but you know it don't come easy. " Hakkaku on Takakeishou: "He can't hit with his head, which is his main weapon and that's a pity. He will be struggling this basho.."

Kintamayama, on reading the rikishi's words: "I haven't read such a collection of cliches without a single ounce of individualism since I was six!"