Training news

Moti Dichne

Jul 11, 2024, 4:01:04 AMJul 11
to Sumo Newsletter2

Isegahama Oyakata has declared that Yokozuna Terunofuji is in for Nagoya. "He will participate. He has been training, aiming for that. He has not done sufficient keiko, but he has a strong sense of responsibility," said the Oyakata. Today, he trained with Takarafuji and was 8-1. Not only was he using his favorite right hand grip, but he trained against Takarafuji's left hand grip as well, knowing he will be facing left hand grip guys in the early stages of the basho, and was seen overwhelming Takarafuji regardless. He will be resting tomorrow, so that will be it for training  for Terunofuji. "My condition is as usual. In any case, we won't know till I try, yes?" he said later. "I expect him to do his best and to properly go all the way while aiming for the yusho. Otherwise what?" summed Isegahama Oyakata.

Chatting with ex-Hakuhou:

202407110000365-w500_0.jpg

Juryo Takerufuji will decide tomorrow morning if he's in or out. He did train today against the lower rankers of his heya but was not allowed to talk to the press at the orders of his Oyakata. "He says he wants to enter," said the Oyakata.

Jonokuchi Enhou has declared he is in for Nagoya, after missing 6 bashos. "I have to decide at some point to come back, otherwise I never will. I have made that decision now. Whatever people say, in the end, it's my life.." he said, hinting that he knows the risk of further injury. The pain has subsided lately and he has been able to train well. "I have to conquer my fear, otherwise I won't be able to mount the dohyo. I will be fighting for all seven days. If I appear just for one day (to avoid being banzuke-gai like many rikishi do) that would not be called entering..I've been away for so long, I have no idea how it will go.., he summed.

202407110000470-w500_0.jpg