few comments and questions...

Jimmy

Aug 26, 2009, 10:36:33 AM8/26/09
to summon-python
First and mostly I want to congratulate the developer of this
impressive work.
Visualizations from the website are very nice!

Was Summon implied in this?
http://cs.jhu.edu/~razvanm/fs-expedition/
If yes, that would be a nice display of what can be achieved.

On to questions, now...
While on linux, I add no problems installing summon (using
easy_install), it's much tougher on Windows...where even the binary is
failing...dont know if you want some feedback on that....

The website states that summon is faster than regular python openGL
bindings. I assume that you are talking about PyOpenGL and pyglet...
I've been using pyglet up to now to do some visualisation on data
matrices and plotting work (to be included in a stand alone app)...do
you have some rough estimates of the gain that summon is bringing on
the table compared to these libs?

Lastly, I cant make the example: Animation run...
the timer function is not recognized...
it says "module object (summon) has no attribute add_update_func...

j.

Matt Rasmussen

Sep 1, 2009, 12:34:50 PM9/1/09
to summon...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jimmy,

Thanks for your kind feedback.

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 10:36 AM, Jimmy<jimmy....@gmail.com> wrote:

> First and mostly I want to congratulate the developer of this
> impressive work.
> Visualizations from the website are very nice!
>
> Was Summon implied in this?
> http://cs.jhu.edu/~razvanm/fs-expedition/
> If yes, that would be a nice display of what can be achieved.

That looks like an independent project. I don't think it uses SUMMON.

> On to questions, now...
> While on linux, I add no problems installing summon (using
> easy_install), it's much tougher on Windows...where even the binary is
> failing...dont know if you want some feedback on that....

Do you use python2.5? That is the only install that I have made.

> The website states that summon is faster than regular python openGL
> bindings. I assume that you are talking about PyOpenGL and pyglet...
> I've been using pyglet up to now to do some visualisation on data
> matrices and plotting work (to be included in a stand alone app)...do
> you have some rough estimates of the gain that summon is bringing on
> the table compared to these libs?

I do not made a time comparison with those libraries. But python code
in general runs 50 times slower than C code. The biggest slow down
comes in tight loops. The draw function that creates each frame often
needs to loop through all objects to layout/draw. This can be a very
slow loop in python, however, in SUMMON this is done is C++. If you
rely on features such as drawlists and other ways of pushing the loop
into the GPU/native lib you can also get comparable speed ups
(although with additional restrictions on what you can draw) while
coding in python.

> Lastly, I cant make the example: Animation run...
> the timer function is not recognized...
> it says "module object (summon) has no attribute add_update_func...

Hmm. Let me look into that. My current development version does not
have this bug, but perhaps the version on the site does.

Thanks for your feedback.

Matt