Project Idea

chetanc

Mar 16, 2007, 4:05:46 PM3/16/07
to Summer of Gallery
Hi,
My name is C.Chaitanya.I am working as an assistant professor in
Hyderabad,India.I did my masters in UFL,Florida.We have started a
small thing in our college known as adopt an open source project where
students have to adopt an open source project and work on it. Recently
in one of my consulting projects I worked on gallery and loved it.I am
now encouraging my students to work on it.I was thinking of asking
some students to work on creating a web based photo editor kind of
thing which could be integrated in gallery.Something like GIMP on
web :). People would be able to add Titles,rotate,scale add
fillters,add layers etc to their photos.Would gallery be interested in
taking it as a Google summer project.I could do most of the mentoring
for my student and only in typical cases they would trouble
you :).Thanks.
-Chaitanya

bharatman

Mar 17, 2007, 3:10:24 AM3/17/07
to Summer of Gallery

Sounds interesting! I'm not sure how it would work with you as an
intermediary between us and the student, but I think that we'd welcome
your assistance in mentoring the students. They'd still have to fill
out an application like anybody else, but perhaps you could guide them
through the process of writing a good proposal. It would certainly be
nice to have a more robust set of image manipulation operations
available as a new module -- I'd welcome that as a summer project!