SQLite support for Gallery2

Johannes Peeters

May 5, 2006, 12:07:46 PM5/5/06
to Summer of Gallery
Hi,

I am Johannes Peeters, third year student in Master in Computer Science
at the Vrije Universiteit Brussels, Belgium. I already graduated as a
Bachelor in Applied Computer Science at the Karel de Grote Higher
school of education in Antwerp, Belgium.

I am currently looking into implementing SQLite database support in
gallery2. I have been thinking about this, even before I saw the
proposal on the sample ideas site.
I have quite a lot of experience with web applications (php and jsp)
and databases. I have been working on implementing Hibernate in an open
source application to develop web applications ( http://www.makumba.org
).
I also have been working (as a student) for five yearts at a large
Internet Service Provider in Belgium, giving Business support (VPN,
Leased Lines, ...) and doing some internal development. My curriculum
vitae is available on request.

I will offcourse need to dig into the gallery2 source code and find out
which database operations are used, and which of those SQLite does not
support. I have been searching the gallery and sourceforge sites, but
didn't encounter much information about the SQLite implementation in
gallery2.

My main focus will be the SQLite implementation, but (as time allows
this) I might also look at the EXIF/IPTC feature request.

Looking forward to join this project,
Johannes Peeters

uri...@gmail.com

May 6, 2006, 2:36:27 PM5/6/06
to Summer of Gallery
Hello Johannes,

I have applied for the same project, and I do hope that not only the
best among us will be selected, but that this feature will get the best
implementation - either you, me or anyone else.

Uri Wald

bharatman

May 7, 2006, 1:22:27 AM5/7/06
to Summer of Gallery
A tip for the SQLite implementers -- we have a suite of > 2200 unit
tests that are great for validating that your database backend does the
right thing. And I believe that there's been some work to get Adodb to
support SQLite...

Make sure you incorporate lots of details into your proposals!

Johannes Peeters

May 8, 2006, 6:43:44 PM5/8/06
to Summer of Gallery
Hello Uri,

I love to hear that. Hopefully one of us will get selected and will be
offered this opportunity!

Regards,
Johannes

Johannes Peeters

May 8, 2006, 6:54:36 PM5/8/06
to Summer of Gallery
I saw Adodb has quite good support for SQLite already. It has Tested
status 'B', which means: tested and usable, but some features might not
be implemented. I think one major thing to think about is if these
unimplemented features are needed in Gallery.

Pavel....@gmail.com

May 8, 2006, 10:39:32 PM5/8/06
to Summer of Gallery
I also applied for SQLite backend,

Does anybody know who is the Mentor? and how to contact him or her?

Pavel....@gmail.com

May 8, 2006, 10:44:13 PM5/8/06
to Summer of Gallery
Bad new from PhpLens

question:
Topic: Re:SQLite 3 + ADOdb
author: alain samoun created: 28-03-2006 12:08:49 PM
Andrei:
Did you release your ADODB/sqlite3 driver?
I am interested to test it.
Thanks.
Alain

answer:
Topic: Re:SQLite 3 + ADOdb
author: John Lim created: 29-03-2006 10:45:57 PM
Hi, we're dependent on user contributions. This driver doesn't exist
yet - sorry :(

full thread :
http://phplens.com/lens/lensforum/msgs.php?id=13667