EXIF & IPTC Jpeg information edit/Search SoC project

Kamil Kisiel

Mar 19, 2007, 4:36:31 AM3/19/07
to Summer of Gallery
Hello Gallery developers,

My name is Kamil, I'm a 5th year Computer Engineering student at Simon
Fraser University, as well as an amateur photographer. I'm interested
in improving the EXIF & IPTC gallery module for the Summer of Code
program. I've been running gallery on my personal site (http://
www.kamilkisiel.net) for several years

I already have some basic familiarity with the Gallery code base and
modules, having done the occasional tweak here and there (including
some prior modifications to the exif display). I also began part time
development on some web based media management software that utilized
EXIF/IPTC metadata and so am at least somewhat familiar with the
specs.

I agree with the concept of storing the data in a database, and I
think that a one column per field design would be best to allow faster
access. I can also forsee some modules in the future that could make
use of this data and provided statistics on your most frequently used
camera settings and other interesting things...

Allowing editing of ITPC fields through an image's property page would
also be quite a useful feature. I'm curious though as for the
motivation in being able to edit the EXIF tags?

Anyhow, that's quite a length introduction as is, so I hope to hear
back before discussing this any further. I'd appreciate any assistance
or further details I might have to consider when putting together a
proposal.

Thanks for your time,
Kamil

valiant

Mar 22, 2007, 9:31:59 AM3/22/07
to Summer of Gallery
I guess your question has been answered in irc yesterday.

Some interesting EXIF fields: Copyright, Artist, Rotation, Color
space, date/time, ...
Writing EXIF data can be as useful as writing IPTC data.

FYI: I've added some links to alternatives to exifixer:
http://codex.gallery2.org/Gallery2:Modules:exif:Development#EXIF_Tools_.2F_Libs

- Andy