Support for git submodules

Roman Shapovalov

Jun 22, 2015, 9:19:18 AM6/22/15
to sumatr...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Thanks for supporting this software, it looks quite useful.

I try to Sumatrize the scripts I run. The problem is that we use git
submodules. While checking for uncommitted modifications works well
with submodules, there appear some problems if the enter-point script
belongs to one of the submodules. There is a check in
Record.register() that the main_file is under version control that
fails since it cannot be found within the root git repo. What is the
best way to work it around? I currently removed the check, but I do
not want to and up with my own branch of Sumatra. Is there a more
principled way to turn it off? Or should that check support git
submodules as well?

Regards,
Roman

Andrew Davison

Jul 5, 2015, 9:33:46 AM7/5/15
to sumatr...@googlegroups.com, rshap...@artec-group.com

Hi Roman,

Sorry for the delay in replying. I don't think there is a good workaround at the moment, but this seems like a use case that Sumatra should support, i.e. the check should work with submodules. Please could you create a ticket in the issue tracker: https://github.com/open-research/sumatra/issues

The support for Git in Sumatra is based on GitPython (http://gitpython.readthedocs.org), which supports submodules, so it should be fairly straightforward.

Regards,

Andrew

Roman Shapovalov

Jul 7, 2015, 4:48:16 AM7/7/15
to sumatr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the answer. I’ve created an issue:

I will probably implement that in our fork, but only for git. I am not sure if different VCS’s have a concept of submodule at all.

Roman