Attack on Wad Al-Noura Village (6 June 2024)

John Ashworth

Jun 7, 2024, 12:04:40 AMJun 7
to Group
BEGIN

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: OCHA Sudan <OCHA...@un.org>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2024 at 17:05
Subject: Statement by the RC/HC in Sudan on the attack on Wad Al-Noura Village (6 June 2024) [EN]

I am shocked by reports of violent attacks and a high number of casualties in the village of Wad Al-Noura in Aj Jazirah State on 5 June 2024
SUDAN
Statement by to the Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator in Sudan,
Clementine Nkweta-Salami
On the high number of casualties in the village of Wad Al-Noura in Aj Jazirah State
(Port Sudan, 6 June 2024) - I am shocked by reports of violent attacks and a high number of casualties in the village of Wad Al-Noura in Aj Jazirah State on 5 June 2024.

While the UN does not yet have the full details and facts of yesterday’s events, there are credible reports of heavy gunfire and the use of explosive weapons in populated civilian areas.

The Rapid Support Forces (RSF) have publicly confirmed that their elements were involved in ground operations in this area on 5 June.

Even by the tragic standards of Sudan’s conflict, the images emerging from Wad Al-Noura are heart-breaking.

I have said it before and I will say it again: wars have rules that need to be respected, no matter what.

Armed clashes and the use of explosive weapons in heavily populated areas must be avoided at all costs. Civilians can never be a target.

International Humanitarian Law and commitments made in Jeddah must be upheld.

I call for a thorough investigation into the circumstances and facts of what happened in Wad Al-Noura, and for those responsible of crimes to be held accountable.

Human tragedy has become a hallmark of life in Sudan. We cannot allow impunity to become another one.

***
Download the press release here
FOLLOW US:
Website
Twitter
Facebook
Copyright © 2024
United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs.
All rights reserved.

END
John Ashworth

ashwor...@gmail.com

+254 725 926 297 (Kenya mobile, WhatsApp and Signal)

PO Box 403 - 00206, Kiserian, Kenya