Unable to Check Out SVN Folders

Cameron Hagen

May 17, 2022, 7:52:19 PM5/17/22
to us...@subversion.apache.org
Hello there,

I'd like to check out a number of SVN folders, but with each one I run into an error where after checking out a few documents, it stalls, and then gives me this error:

Checkout Failed!

Error: Error running context: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host

When I delete the folder and give it another try, sometimes it will get through more documents, sometimes it gets through less, but it never actually finishes. I have tried using different internet connections, but get consistent errors.

Very new to Subversion Edge and would really appreciate any feedback.
Thanks,
Cam

NOTICE: This message {including attachments} is covered by the Electronic Communication Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. sections 2510-2521, is CONFIDENTIAL and may also be protected by ATTORNEY-CLIENT OR OTHER PRIVILEGE. If you believe that it has been sent to you in error, do not read it. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any retention, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. Please reply to the sender that you have received the message in error and then delete it.
SVNCheckoutFail.png

Nico Kadel-Garcia

May 17, 2022, 8:26:31 PM5/17/22
to Cameron Hagen, Subversion
On Tue, May 17, 2022 at 7:52 PM Cameron Hagen <cha...@appareo.com> wrote:

> Hello there,
>
> I'd like to check out a number of SVN folders, but with each one I run into an error where after checking out a few documents, it stalls, and then gives me this error:
>
> Checkout Failed!
>
> Error: Error running context: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host

The gods only know. You've not stated what kind of server is involved,
nor any hint of whether the repo has huge commits nad may be timing
out, nor whether there is an intervening proxy. Such vagaries of
Apache bsed Subversions are one reason I prefer SSH based access. Can
you use svn+ssh?

Nathan Hartman

May 17, 2022, 8:52:22 PM5/17/22
to Cameron Hagen, us...@subversion.apache.org
On Tue, May 17, 2022 at 7:52 PM Cameron Hagen <cha...@appareo.com> wrote:
Hello,

We've had various reports with this error message over the years. The cause is usually a server side or network issue, but there doesn't seem to be a common theme of one particular cause. Causes have ranged from anything from antivirus software to network configurations to firewalls to old versions of SVN on the server. If you search for the exact text of the error message in our mailing list archives (see [1], you'll find  discussions and (hopefully) what fixed it for different people. There's also the StackOverflow question at [2].

You mentioned that you are using Subversion Edge. Do you know whether the version of  Subversion Edge on the repository server is the latest available?

From your screenshot it appears you are using TortoiseSVN on the client (your computer). What version of TortoiseSVN are you using?

Also do you know whether you're going through a proxy?

Is the repository server on the same LAN as your client computer, or across a VPN, or...?

When you say it stalls, is there a noticeable delay? Approximately how long (seconds? minutes?)

Cheers,
Nathan

[1] SVN mailing list archives:

Marlow, Andrew

May 18, 2022, 2:31:34 AM5/18/22
to us...@subversion.apache.org

I too have seen this error several times and I am convinced it happens in the presence of an unreliable network. The network I am using is very unreliable so this problem is seen from time to time. When it happens the checkout has to be cleaned, then if the command is tries again it usually works.

The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message and all copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message in any manner; and (iii) notify the sender immediately. In addition, please be aware that any message addressed to our domain is subject to archiving and review by persons other than the intended recipient. FIS is a trading name of the following companies: Advanced Portfolio Technologies Ltd (No: 6312142) | Alphakinetic Limited (No: 06897969) | Clear2Pay Limited (No: 5792457) | eFunds International Limited (No: 1930117) | Fidelity Information Services Limited (No: 2225203) | FIS Derivatives Utility Services (UK) Limited (No: 9398140) | FIS Energy Solutions Limited (No: 1889028) | FIS Global Execution Services Limited (No. 3127109) | FIS Capital Markets UK Limited (No: 982833) | Integrity Treasury Solutions Europe Limited (No: 3289271) | Metavante Technologies Limited (No: 2659326) | Virtus Partners Limited (No: 06602363) | all registered in England & Wales with their registered office at 25 Canada Square, London E14 5LQ | FIS Global Execution Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority | FIS Banking Solutions UK Limited (No: 3517639) and FIS Payments (UK) Limited (No: 4215488) both registered in England & Wales with their registered office at 1st Floor Tricorn House, 51-53 Hagley Road, Edgbaston, Birmingham, West Midlands, B16 8TU, United Kingdom | FIS Payments (UK) Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority; some services are covered by the Financial Ombudsman Service (in the UK) | Worldpay (UK) Limited (No: 07316500 / FCA No: 530923) | Worldpay Limited (No: 03424752 / FCA No: 504504) | Worldpay AP Limited (No: 05593466 / FCA No: 502597) all registered in England & Wales with their registered office at The Walbrook Building, 25 Walbrook, London EC4N 8AF and authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority under the Payment Service Regulations 2017 for the provision of payment services. Worldpay (UK) Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority for consumer credit activities | Worldpay B.V. has its registered office in Amsterdam, the Netherlands (Handelsregister KvK No: 60494344). WPBV holds a licence from and is included in the register kept by De Nederlandsche Bank, which registration can be consulted through www.dnb.nl. Clear2Pay Scotland Limited (No: SC157659), registered in Scotland with registered office at 19 Rose Street, Edinburgh, Scotland, EH2 2PR | Calls to and from the companies may be recorded for quality purposes. | All of the named companies are part of FIS (Fidelity National Information Services, Inc.).

Cameron Hagen

Jun 2, 2022, 2:08:21 PM6/2/22
to us...@subversion.apache.org
Thank you for your response. Hopefully I have some helpful information prepared.
  1. The version of Subversion on our server is 1.8.19-4419.51 and I think that is the latest version. I'm seeing it says no new software updates are available.
  2. Yes, I am using TortoiseSVN. The version of TortoiseSVN on my client is 1.14.0.28885. (I see that there is an update available - 1.14.3.29387)
  3. No proxy is used!
  4. I have attempted the checkout while on the same LAN as the repository server and also over VPN, but unfortunately seeing consistent results.
  5. This delay is seconds in duration. Maybe 5 - 10.
Is there a way to commit new versions of a doc already in SVN through the repo browser?
Please let me know what other questions you have! Thanks again for your time.

-Cam

Daniel Sahlberg

Jun 2, 2022, 4:14:46 PM6/2/22
Den tors 2 juni 2022 20:08Cameron Hagen <cha...@appareo.com> skrev:
Thank you for your response. Hopefully I have some helpful information prepared.
  1. The version of Subversion on our server is 1.8.19-4419.51 and I think that is the latest version. I'm seeing it says no new software updates are available.
This a quite old, about five years. In your first mail you mentioned Subversion Edge, it might be that their updater just isn't able to find a new version. Have you checked with the vendor?
  1. Yes, I am using TortoiseSVN. The version of TortoiseSVN on my client is 1.14.0.28885. (I see that there is an update available - 1.14.3.29387)
An update never hurts but there should not be any major differences.
  1. No proxy is used!
  2. I have attempted the checkout while on the same LAN as the repository server and also over VPN, but unfortunately seeing consistent results.

Have you checked server logs?
  1. This delay is seconds in duration. Maybe 5 - 10.
That seems to counter the idea that it is a proper timeout. Then I would continue the search in the network and on the server.

Is there a way to commit new versions of a doc already in SVN through the repo browser?

I haven't tried, but I don't think so. This question (since it concerns usage of a specific client) can probably be better answered in the TortoiseSVN forums.

Please let me know what other questions you have! Thanks again for your time.

-Cam

Kind regards
Daniel