PYTHON bindings

1 view

Robert Fetter via users

Nov 16, 2022, 1:36:32 PM11/16/22
to us...@subversion.apache.org

I am trying to use ViewVC which provides a web inyerface to SVN.  It uses a shared library with Python which (I think) I've located.

To run this, I have my own myviewvc.cgi script:

#!/bin/sh
export PYTHONPATH=/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/libsvn
/usr/lib/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi

But when I run this I get:

ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/libsvn/_core.x86_64-linux-gnu.so: undefined symbol: svn_relpath__internal_style

I submitted this to the ViewVC GitHub issue site for ViewVC and got back:

This seems like a problem with Subversion's python bindings (which ViewVC depends on to do its thing for Subversion repositories), and specifically an issue with the packaging of those bindings on your specific platform. Please raise the issue with that community at https://subversion.apache.org/reporting-issues.html.

I am running MX Linux which is based on Debian.

Pavel Lyalyakin via users

Nov 16, 2022, 4:02:43 PM11/16/22
to Robert Fetter, us...@subversion.apache.org
I want to add the link to the mentioned issue:
https://github.com/viewvc/viewvc/issues/304. The ticket has some
additional details, so I feel that it needs to be in this thread for
future reference.

Thank you.

--
With best regards,
Pavel Lyalyakin

Yasuhito FUTATSUKI

Nov 16, 2022, 11:24:50 PM11/16/22
to Pavel Lyalyakin, Robert Fetter, us...@subversion.apache.org
Hello,
Thank you for the link.

As I wrote there, I guess it is version miss match between Subversion's
shared libraries and Subversion SWIG Python bindings. That is,
the /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/libsvn/_core.x86_64-linux-gnu.so
in his environment is not built against installed version of Subversion.

External symbol "svn_relpath__internal_style" was appeared in
Subversion r1133964(in apache repository), between Subversion 1.6.0
and 1.7.0, and removed in r1850611, between Subversion 1.11.0 and 1.12.0.
(Although it seems svn_relpath__internal_style was incorrectly public
API, there is no api-errata about its removal...)

So I guess Robert uses Subversion 1.14.x on MX-21 and installed
python-subversion package for older releases (or copied svn and libsvn
Python modules from older environment).

Note: It seems library dependency of python-subversion deb package
for Debian 10 is incorrect. The version required for libsvn1 should
also "<< 1.12" because of the public API removal mentioned above.
(https://packages.debian.org/buster/python-subversion)

Cheers,
--
Yasuhito FUTATSUKI <futa...@yf.bsclub.org>