Lines of code collecting from Subversion repos

Rajesh N

Nov 18, 2022, 5:50:35 AM11/18/22
to us...@subversion.apache.org

Hi Subversion support team,

Good Day !!!

We have a requirement for taking Lines of codes from subversion project repos.

Our requirement is to collect the information of users by their activity like how many lines of codes they added in project files compared to the last day, month, or particular period.

Could you please help us with the tool or command that can be used for taking lines of codes from project repos and visualizing them as a diagram or data metrics?

Here I am sharing our existing Subversion setup details and you could suggest me a tool for taking lines of codes or references.

OS version:  Ubuntu 20.04.5 LTS
Subversion: 1.13
Apache version: 2.4.41

Best Regards,

Rajesh N

Lead  IT&Network | Kimball Electronics (India) Pvt Ltd | M: +91 8289836955 | T: +91 471 2700175 | rajesh.n@geservs.com |

www.geservs.com

Pavel Lyalyakin via users

Nov 18, 2022, 6:18:50 AM11/18/22
to Rajesh N, us...@subversion.apache.org
On Fri, Nov 18, 2022 at 2:50 PM Rajesh N <raje...@geservs.com> wrote:

> Hi Subversion support team,

Please note that this is not a "support team". This is a public list
for Subversion users:

> Good Day !!!
>

> We have a requirement for taking Lines of codes from subversion project repos.
>
> Our requirement is to collect the information of users by their activity like how many lines of codes they added in project files compared to the last day, month, or particular period.
>
> Could you please help us with the tool or command that can be used for taking lines of codes from project repos and visualizing them as a diagram or data metrics?
>
> Here I am sharing our existing Subversion setup details and you could suggest me a tool for taking lines of codes or references.

AFAIK, there are various tools for calculating the Lines of Code (LoC)
metric. I haven't tried any of them myself and therefore cannot
suggest any in particular. However, searching the web for something
like 'Subversion Lines of Code statistics', 'Subversion Lines of Code
reports' or 'Subversion Lines of Code metric' shows different ways to
generate such metrics.

BTW, what exactly are you going to do with these lines of code
metrics? Do you plan to use them to measure productivity of the
developers? What's your use case?

I hope that you know that measuring lines of code is - putting it
lightly - is not the best way to measure productivity of a developer:
https://stackoverflow.blog/2020/12/07/measuring-developer-productivity/#h-the-pitfalls-of-output-measurement.
You may want to think about another approach if your task is to
measure performance of your development team.

Thank you.

--
With best regards,
Pavel Lyalyakin

Rajesh N

Nov 21, 2022, 5:10:47 AM11/21/22
to Pavel Lyalyakin, us...@subversion.apache.org
Hi Pavel ,

Then where should I check for getting support on my query?
Could you please help me with the contact link?

Best Regards,
Rajesh N
Lead  IT&Network | Kimball Electronics (India) Pvt Ltd | M: +91 8289836955 | T: +91 471 2700175raje...@geservs.com |
www.geservs.com

Nov 21, 2022, 5:10:56 AM11/21/22
to Pavel Lyalyakin, us...@subversion.apache.org
Hi Pavel ,

We are planning to track the user's availability in project repos in some other ways we can say it's productivity tracking of each user.
I tracked few tools but better tools are outdated and not getting better support or correct packages for them.

Tools are :

1 # SVNplot - Old tool not updated since 2013 .
2# SVNStat - it don't have info about users. Just had LOC details .

Somebody can give more details .