"svn info" results in a timeout, but only when called from a specific server

René Ederer

Jul 18, 2022, 8:51:28 AMJul 18
to us...@subversion.apache.org

The repository http://192.168.48.249/svn/SENSO exists, the full path does not exist.

Executing this command gives me a timeout. Shortening the url by 1 character changes the behaviour and I get the expected "does not exist" message.

In detail:
I'm trying to execute the command above on a Windows 19 Server. I'm connecting to this server via RDP.
Executing the command unexpectedly results in a timeout (apparently from a proxy server) after 1 minute:
svn: E730054: Error running context: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.

When I paste the same url into chrome (I'm opening chrome within the RDP-window) , I immediately get a 404 message, as expected.

When I shorten the URL by 1 character (from 207 to 206 characters), I immediately get the expected message:
svn: E200009: Could not display info for all targets because some targets don't exist

Running the command with the unshortened url on my local computer also gives me the "some targets don't exist" message (as expected).

My svn version is "1.9.5", but the same behaviour also happened with the latest version "1.14.2".
I set the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem\LongPathsEnabled to 1. This had no effect.

I'm out of ideas now. What could be the cause of the timeout on my server? Thank you very much!

Best regards,

René

Nico Kadel-Garcia

Jul 20, 2022, 12:19:24 AMJul 20
to René Ederer, us...@subversion.apache.org
On Mon, Jul 18, 2022 at 8:51 AM René Ederer <rene....@protonmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm a little baffled by a timeout.
>
> The command I'm trying to execute is:
> svn.exe info --username U --password P --no-auth-cache "http://192.168.48.249/svn/SENSO/trunk/wls_intern/wls_config_11.1/Middleware/user_projects/domains/ClassicDomain/config/fmwconfig/servers/WLS_FORMS/applications/formsapp_11.1.1/config/forms/registry/oracle/ab"

*Stop* using the HTTP or HTTPS based axis. The integration of it with
the various Apache or httpd renamed servers has always been error
fraught., especially when there are intervening proxies. If possible,
switch to svn+ssh based access.

That said, run some very simple commands like "curl
http://192.168.58.249" to ensure that you have correct routing that
internal, non-routable address, and you're not encountering locally
tuned firewalls or proxies.

Daniel Sahlberg

Jul 20, 2022, 1:58:42 PMJul 20
to René Ederer, us...@subversion.apache.org
Hi René,

Den mån 18 juli 2022 kl 14:51 skrev René Ederer <rene....@protonmail.com>:

The repository http://192.168.48.249/svn/SENSO exists, the full path does not exist.

Executing this command gives me a timeout. Shortening the url by 1 character changes the behaviour and I get the expected "does not exist" message.

I assume you have figured out that it is the length that is causing problems, not the content of the URL? For example, if the same happens if you try they url .../oracle_ab (timeout/E730053) and  .../oracle_a (E200009)?

In detail:
I'm trying to execute the command above on a Windows 19 Server. I'm connecting to this server via RDP.
Executing the command unexpectedly results in a timeout (apparently from a proxy server) after 1 minute:
svn: E730054: Error running context: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.

Can you try the same connection without the proxy server? Or else, can you get some logs from the proxy server?

Not trying to blame the proxy server but rather to confirm if the problem is in Subversion or in the proxy server.

When I paste the same url into chrome (I'm opening chrome within the RDP-window) , I immediately get a 404 message, as expected.

When I shorten the URL by 1 character (from 207 to 206 characters), I immediately get the expected message:
svn: E200009: Could not display info for all targets because some targets don't exist

Running the command with the unshortened url on my local computer also gives me the "some targets don't exist" message (as expected).

Can you check the access/error logs on the Subversion server to compare if there is a difference in the request from your local computer compared to the remote server. Possibly even a wireshark network analysis?

My svn version is "1.9.5", but the same behaviour also happened with the latest version "1.14.2".
I set the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem\LongPathsEnabled to 1. This had no effect.

I believe this should only affect local files

I'm out of ideas now. What could be the cause of the timeout on my server? Thank you very much!

Kind regards,
Daniel Sahlberg