New Server can't get my SVN back online

James Hart

Jan 27, 2023, 2:51:53 PM1/27/23
to us...@subversion.apache.org

Current Server is Windows Server 2019 Essentials

Old Server that ran SVN for years was Windows Server 2012… still have old machine it was running on vmware

It has been so long since I tried to get it going I can’t exactly remember what I did.

I used just plain subversion

https://”Server address”:3690/svn

Says please wait while repository browser is initializing… never comes back

Jim Hart

President

Definitive Concepts, Inc.

Daniel Sahlberg

Jan 27, 2023, 3:01:44 PM1/27/23
to James Hart, us...@subversion.apache.org
Den fre 27 jan. 2023 kl 20:51 skrev James Hart <jh...@definitiveconcepts.com>:

Current Server is Windows Server 2019 Essentials

Old Server that ran SVN for years was Windows Server 2012… still have old machine it was running on vmware

It has been so long since I tried to get it going I can’t exactly remember what I did.

I used just plain subversion

https://”Server address”:3690/svn

Says please wait while repository browser is initializing… never comes back

Your URL is a bit ambiguous; it says "https" while at the same time using the port 3690. The port number indicates that you want to use the svn:// protocol - but it is of course possible to configure a http server on port 3690, although a bit unusual.

If you would like to use the svn:// protocol, you must configure svnserve to listen to that port. Check the svn book:  https://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.7/svn.serverconfig.svnserve.html#svn.serverconfig.svnserve.invoking.winservice

(You must also configure the Windows Firewall to allow svnserver/port 3690 through the firewall).

If you want to use the https:// protocol, you must setup a web server to listen to port 3690.

Kind regards,
Daniel

James Hart

Jan 28, 2023, 11:41:54 AM1/28/23
to Daniel Sahlberg, Subversion

However if I hit help after right click it does show that it is loaded

Feb 6, 2023, 4:55:43 AM2/6/23
to James Hart, Subversion
Den lör 28 jan. 2023 kl 17:41 skrev James Hart <jh...@definitiveconcepts.com>:

However if I hit help after right click it does show that it is loaded

This only shows that you have installed the CLIENT software TortoiseSVN. It doesn't neccessarily show that you have installed a server (service), however TortoiseSVN contains the necessary binaries to run the server for the svn:// protocol (the svnserve.exe) if you select to install the command line tools in the installer.

Feb 6, 2023, 4:07:55 PM2/6/23
to Daniel Sahlberg, Subversion

K I’m lost

Can’t tell exactly what you are telling me to do

At this point it doesn’t work so if I start over and import or relocate from old server will it hurt ?

If this is a good idea where do I start from … online say use relocate command but I don’t see that when I right click and go to Tortisesvn menu

I currently have my old server that had svn working running and on the same network as the new server that I’m trying to move it to. Old server is at x.x.0.10 new is at x.x.0.99

I don’t see how to install the command line tools

James Hart

Feb 6, 2023, 5:02:04 PM2/6/23
to Daniel Sahlberg, Subversion

K made some progress figured out why I didn’t have command line and got them installed

Did this

C:\Users\jhart>svnadmin create d:/P-Drive/SVN/DCI-Repo

svnadmin: E165002: 'D:\P-Drive\SVN\DCI-Repo' is an existing repository

Next step ?

K made some progress figured out why I didn’t have command line and got them installed

Did this

C:\Users\jhart>svnadmin create d:/P-Drive/SVN/DCI-Repo

svnadmin: E165002: 'D:\P-Drive\SVN\DCI-Repo' is an existing repository

Next step ?

Well, I guess that means you've figured out the path to your repository. You should check if you have more repos in the same directory.

Now continue with the steps in the SVN book to create a service for svnserve serving that repository (https://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.serverconfig.svnserve.html#svn.serverconfig.svnserve.invoking.winservice).

Please note that in Subversion "repository" is the central database (on the server) where you have all your versioning data. The folder where you do your actual work is a "working copy" and it only contains the current revision of each file. This is a characteristic of a "centralized version control software" compared to a "distributed version control software" (for example git).

The "relocate" (as referenced in the other mail) is used when you have moved the repository (ie, changed the URL, for example server name) and you need to point your working copy to a new URL. This may or may not be required in your case depending on if the new server has inherited the ip address and/or the server name of the old server.

Kind regards,
Daniel