Revision too big to dump?

Ash Rubigo

Dec 27, 2022, 1:05:51 PM12/27/22
to us...@subversion.apache.org
Hi all,

I'm trying to extract projects from a large repository into their own
separate repositories.

I understand to use `svnadmin dump`, then `svndumpfilter`, and finally
`svnadmin load`.

Trouble is during `svnadmin dump` one of the revisions results in an
'out of memory' error. The revision in question is large, on the order
of 20GB and I only have 16GB of RAM.

I have tried incrementally dumping, but had the same issue.

Is it really the case that if a revision is larger than the available
RAM it cannot be dumped?

--
Regards,

Ash Rubigo

Jeffrey Walton

Dec 27, 2022, 1:13:41 PM12/27/22
to Ash Rubigo, us...@subversion.apache.org
Just a thought, but it does not answer the question...

Use GParted, and increase the swap file to say, 64 GB. Then set
swappiness to a low value, like 2. The low swappiness value will keep
most stuff in RAM, and spill over to disk rarely. Most of the swap
file will remain unused. But it should allow your dumps to proceed.

Jeff

Ash Rubigo

Dec 28, 2022, 4:56:53 PM12/28/22
to nolo...@gmail.com, us...@subversion.apache.org
This seems to be solved. Well past the troublesome revision after about
10 hours and 70GB of virtual memory.

--
Regards,

Ash Rubigo

Nico Kadel-Garcia

Dec 30, 2022, 2:18:03 AM12/30/22
to Ash Rubigo, nolo...@gmail.com, us...@subversion.apache.org
On Wed, Dec 28, 2022 at 4:56 PM Ash Rubigo <ashr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This seems to be solved. Well past the troublesome revision after about
> 10 hours and 70GB of virtual memory.

Son of a... Somebody committed disk images or a suite of DVD images?
The inability to split and discard such revisions is an old issue for
a poorly handled Subversion repo.