SVN Diff fails with error

Aravind Raj

May 9, 2022, 5:53:16 AM5/9/22
to us...@subversion.apache.org
Hello Team,

I have a Subversion repository and trying to find the diff of two different revisions. The changes between these two revisions are huge. (Although these are immediate revisions - 17320 and 17321)
When I do the diff, it runs the output for few seconds and then displaying below error:
svn: E175002: REPORT request on '/svn/repo_name/!svn/me' failed.

As the changes are huge we are getting the above error, this does not happen when the change is short. Another important observation is, this issue does not happen in Tortoise SVN version below 1.8. So, assuming for Subversion client with Neon library has no problem but with serf library this error occurs.

Analysis done:
  • No connection drop was detected between Subversion server and TortoiseSVN Client
  • TCPDumps are reviewed no issues observed
  • Several TCP/IP related settings were updated on Windows but still issue persists.
  • Tried changing the following token on svn client but no luck -- 'Timeout', 'http-max-connection', 'http-bulk-updates', 'http-compression'.
The error is not from the server, its from the client. We don't see any information about the error from the server logs.
As we can also see the issue exists in client version above 1.8 but not less than 1.8.

We are also able to reproduce the issue in TortoiseSVN and Windows Command line client.
Subversion server version: 1.10.2
Subversion client versions tested: >1.8 and <1.14

Any assistance on this error is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Aravind

Daniel Shahaf

May 12, 2022, 2:03:58 PM5/12/22
to Aravind Raj, us...@subversion.apache.org
Aravind Raj wrote on Mon, 09 May 2022 09:27 +00:00:
> As the changes are huge we are getting the above error, this does not
> happen when the change is short. Another important observation is, this
> issue does not happen in Tortoise SVN version below 1.8. So, *assuming for
> Subversion client with Neon library has no problem but with serf library
> this error occurs.*

Not necessarily. 1.7 and earlier _could_ use serf.

> Analysis done:
>
> - No connection drop was detected between Subversion server and
> TortoiseSVN Client
> - TCPDumps are reviewed no issues observed
> - Several TCP/IP related settings were updated on Windows but still
> issue persists.
> - Tried changing the following token on svn client but no luck --
> 'Timeout', 'http-max-connection', 'http-bulk-updates', 'http-compression'.
>
> The error is not from the server, its from the client. We don't see any
> information about the error from the server logs.

Double check that, please?

The error message you quoted isn't the root cause. If there wasn't a TCP
RST and there wasn't any second line to the error message, then there
should be something httpd's error log (as opposed to the access log).
At the very least, the six-digit error code should be different.

Is there a proxy in front of httpd?

> As we can also see the issue exists in client version above 1.8 but not
> less than 1.8.
>
> We are also able to reproduce the issue in TortoiseSVN and Windows Command
> line client.
> Subversion server version: 1.10.2
> Subversion client versions tested: >1.8 and <1.14

Try the latest 1.14.x.