Email Failing after 2.5.2 Upgrade

Tim Heuer

Dec 13, 2011, 11:54:24 PM12/13/11
to Subtext
More woes in my upgrade. Email is no longer working.

I'm seeing this in my log:

System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for
'Subtext.Extensibility.Providers.EmailProvider' threw an exception. ---
> System.Configuration.Provider.ProviderException: Unable to load
default 'Email' provider at
Subtext.Extensibility.Providers.ProviderConfigurationHelper.LoadProviderCollection[T]
(String sectionName, T& provider) at
Subtext.Extensibility.Providers.EmailProvider..cctor() --- End of
inner exception stack trace --- at
Subtext.Extensibility.Providers.EmailProvider.Instance() at
Subtext.Web.UI.Controls.PostComment.OnSubmitButtonClick(Object sender,
EventArgs e) at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEvent(String
eventArgument) at
eventArgument) at
sourceControl, String eventArgument) at
System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData) at

My config is this:
<add name="SystemMailProvider"
type="Subtext.Framework.Email.SystemMailProvider, Subtext.Framework"
smtpServer="smtp.gmail.com" username="myu...@gmail.com"
password="mypassword" commentersEmailAsFromAddress="true"
adminEmail="t...@timheuer.com" port="587" sslEnabled="true" />

But it is not working (yes I've confirmed the settings in the gmail
account).

I also noticed that the Post Comment button actually posts the
comment, but then a) doesn't email and b) the comment doesn't visually
appear posted to the user (i.e., the button used to go away and the
comment temporarily added via JS).

Simone Chiaretta

Dec 14, 2011, 3:49:38 AM12/14/11
to sub...@googlegroups.com
This I remember happening sometime... was a bug in the upgrade procedure.
If not mistaken, it's likely that is missing the default provider.
Make sure the email provider definition starts with
<Email defaultProvider="SystemMailProvider">
and not just
<Email>

Simo

Simone Chiaretta
Microsoft MVP ASP.NET - ASPInsider
Blog: http://codeclimber.net.nz
RSS: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/codeclimber
twitter: @simonech

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
"Life is short, play hard"

Tim Heuer

Dec 14, 2011, 8:24:07 PM12/14/11
to Subtext