Varius

Giu Ba

Jun 4, 2020, 9:41:14 AM6/4/20
to Subsurface Divelog
When posting questions you can help us answer you more quickly if you make sure you include some basic information:
  • Which version are you using (hint: look at the About screen)?
  • Which OS are you running?
  • (if applicable) which dive computer are you using?
Feel free to delete this text when posting your question.

  • Which version are you using (hint: look at the About screen)?   Last Version
  • Which OS are you running?  WIN 10 or Android 10
  • (if applicable) which dive computer are you using? SUUNTO Stinger
Dear hello
I recently started using the Subsurface software in both WIN and Android versions. I congratulate you for the interesting and pleasant product and thank you for your work. However, I observe some anomalies, inaccuracies and deficiencies, which I allow myself to report.
- The Italian translation especially for the Android version, but also in Win is often incomplete, especially in some pop ups and warning windows.
I can make myself available for translation help if needed ...
- Thank you for making a cloud space available, but wouldn't it be better to offer the possibility of using your own cloud service? This is to download your data and for security reasons (backup) of the archived data.
- I have difficulty with the win version in saving local recordings while it works in the cloud. I can't automatically save in both channels (local + cloud)!
- I get the following error message since I use the cloud for the win version [GIT-LOAD: String marker atter running out of string ("description")]
- I report some important shortcomings in the recordable data set, such as equipment used during the dive and their characteristics, environmental conditions and diving procedures
- I find the graphics relating to the saturation of the tissues difficult to understand
I hope I haven't been too pedantic
THANKS
Best wishes

Dirk Hohndel

Jun 4, 2020, 7:43:12 PM6/4/20
to Subsurface Divelog

On Jun 4, 2020, at 6:41 AM, Giu Ba wrote:

  • Which version are you using (hint: look at the About screen)?   Last Version
  • Which OS are you running?  WIN 10 or Android 10
  • (if applicable) which dive computer are you using? SUUNTO Stinger
Dear hello
I recently started using the Subsurface software in both WIN and Android versions. I congratulate you for the interesting and pleasant product and thank you for your work. However, I observe some anomalies, inaccuracies and deficiencies, which I allow myself to report.
- The Italian translation especially for the Android version, but also in Win is often incomplete, especially in some pop ups and warning windows.
I can make myself available for translation help if needed ...

We indeed lost our key Italian translators and would love the help. Translations happen on transifex.com - simply create a free account and then request to join the Subsurface team.

- Thank you for making a cloud space available, but wouldn't it be better to offer the possibility of using your own cloud service? This is to download your data and for security reasons (backup) of the archived data.

This is a frequent request. But that would substantially increase the support burden on the developers. This way we have the ability to fix things both on the client and the server side and control the user experience.
At this point there are no plans to change that.

- I have difficulty with the win version in saving local recordings while it works in the cloud. I can't automatically save in both channels (local + cloud)!

You always have a local copy when saving to the cloud. It's a local git repo that you can manipulate with standard git command line tools.

- I get the following error message since I use the cloud for the win version [GIT-LOAD: String marker atter running out of string ("description")]

That is a harmless warning that should have been removed prior to the release. It will be gone in the next version.

- I report some important shortcomings in the recordable data set, such as equipment used during the dive and their characteristics, environmental conditions and diving procedures

We have thousands of users and many of them have different preferences in what data to record - trying to implement all of them would create a completely unusable UI.
Right now we try to find a reasonable balance of what people commonly like to record, and encourage those who want "more" to consider using tags or structured data in the notes section to achieve their goals

- I find the graphics relating to the saturation of the tissues difficult to understand

Robert, do you have additional material on this? I thought I remembered a post on the theoretical diver, but couldn't find it when I searched.

/D

Willem Ferguson

Jun 5, 2020, 3:07:02 AM6/5/20
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com

On Jun 4, 2020, at 6:41 AM, Giu Ba wrote:

- I find the graphics relating to the saturation of the tissues difficult to understand

Have you read the user manual? It deals extensively with the interpretation of the tissue saturation data. Provided one understands the Bühlmann algorithm for decompression, it is quite straight forward. If you do not understand the Bühlmann it does not make sense to try and interpret the tissue pressure information.

Kind regards,

willem

Please refer to http://upnet.up.ac.za/services/it/documentation/docs/004167.pdf
for full details.

Robert C. Helling

Jun 5, 2020, 5:59:18 AM6/5/20
to Subsurface Divelog

Am Donnerstag, 4. Juni 2020 15:41:14 UTC+2 schrieb Giu Ba:
- I find the graphics relating to the saturation of the tissues difficult to understand

We believe showing the tissue saturations as absolute pressures (for example as mbar) would not be very useful as those have to be interpreted in relation to other pressures. One way is to represent those as ceilings (what is the minimum depth/ambient pressure that is allowed by the deco model given the amount of inert gas in the tissues) shown in green in the profile. Another way to represent those is relative to ambient pressure (to be able to see if the tissue is on or off gassing and at what rate) and relative to m-value, the current (given the ambient pressure at the moment) maximal tissue loading. This is both displayed in the graph in the info box as well (as a function of time) in the heat map.

The details, as Willem said above, are explained in the user manual. If that leaves any questions unanswered feel free to ask those.

Best
Robert

Giu Ba

Jun 5, 2020, 9:46:07 AM6/5/20
to Subsurface Divelog

Il giorno venerdì 5 giugno 2020 01:43:12 UTC+2, Dirk ha scritto:

[...]

Fatto!

- Thank you for making a cloud space available, but wouldn't it be better to offer the possibility of using your own cloud service? This is to download your data and for security reasons (backup) of the archived data.

This is a frequent request. But that would substantially increase the support burden on the developers. This way we have the ability to fix things both on the client and the server side and control the user experience.
At this point there are no plans to change that.

I understand any difficulties, but I don't agree. A Freeware system must allow free access and 'saving' of data!

- I have difficulty with the win version in saving local recordings while it works in the cloud. I can't automatically save in both channels (local + cloud)!

You always have a local copy when saving to the cloud. It's a local git repo that you can manipulate with standard git command line tools.

This does not happen, after saving if I close the program and reopen it using the local copy I do not see the last changes made.

- I report some important shortcomings in the recordable data set, such as equipment used during the dive and their characteristics, environmental conditions and diving procedures

We have thousands of users and many of them have different preferences in what data to record - trying to implement all of them would create a completely unusable UI.
Right now we try to find a reasonable balance of what people commonly like to record, and encourage those who want "more" to consider using tags or structured data in the notes section to achieve their goals

You could think of a set of fields that can be customized by the user, which would please everyone

/D
/Giulio

Giu Ba

Jun 5, 2020, 9:48:48 AM6/5/20
to Subsurface Divelog
I would like a representation with this, very inututive on the saturation of the various 'compartments'

Dirk Hohndel

Jun 5, 2020, 10:59:11 AM6/5/20

On Jun 5, 2020, at 6:46 AM, Giu Ba wrote:

- Thank you for making a cloud space available, but wouldn't it be better to offer the possibility of using your own cloud service? This is to download your data and for security reasons (backup) of the archived data.

This is a frequent request. But that would substantially increase the support burden on the developers. This way we have the ability to fix things both on the client and the server side and control the user experience.
At this point there are no plans to change that.

I understand any difficulties, but I don't agree. A Freeware system must allow free access and 'saving' of data!

I understand that you don't agree - but that doesn't change my decision on this point.
Subsurface is open source, if you have requirements that aren't met, you are of course welcome to fork the code and implement your own version.

- I have difficulty with the win version in saving local recordings while it works in the cloud. I can't automatically save in both channels (local + cloud)!

You always have a local copy when saving to the cloud. It's a local git repo that you can manipulate with standard git command line tools.

This does not happen, after saving if I close the program and reopen it using the local copy I do not see the last changes made.

If you set your default file to be cloud storage in the preferences, then you will have a local copy of all your data (a local "cache" as it's sometimes referred to) as well as the version on the server.
That's easy to verify by using cloud storage while disconnecting from the internet. Your data are still there.

- I report some important shortcomings in the recordable data set, such as equipment used during the dive and their characteristics, environmental conditions and diving procedures

We have thousands of users and many of them have different preferences in what data to record - trying to implement all of them would create a completely unusable UI.
Right now we try to find a reasonable balance of what people commonly like to record, and encourage those who want "more" to consider using tags or structured data in the notes section to achieve their goals

You could think of a set of fields that can be customized by the user, which would please everyone

I believe that we have done that with the tags.
I have no interest in turning Subsurface into an inventory management system.

/D

Grey Wolf

Jun 5, 2020, 11:00:52 AM6/5/20
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
hm ....
giulio
you can tell which of these green bars is which of the 16 tissues in the buehlmann zhl16c? realy?

for me the heatmap is far enough to read....,.

martin

Robert C. Helling

Jun 5, 2020, 11:51:11 AM6/5/20
to Subsurface Divelog

Am Freitag, 5. Juni 2020 15:48:48 UTC+2 schrieb Giu Ba:

I would like a representation with this, very inututive on the saturation of the various 'compartments'

 I would think, that the attached image is exactly that (and more since it also shows saturations below ambient pressure and current breathing gas and gradient factor). For an explanation, see the extensive discussion in the user manual.

Regarding your other point, what you think freeware (and maybe also open source software like Subsurface, you know free beer vs freedom etc) has to provide: You can already save your log file as a git repository by giving a file name with square brackets, i.e.

/home/johndorfnuts/directory/[branchname]

and then sync that git repository with your favourite self maintained git server. It's all there. Just Subsurface does not do that automatically because we don't have the time to debug your personal git server.
Screenshot 2020-06-05 at 17.42.39.png

Willem Ferguson

Jun 5, 2020, 2:16:46 PM6/5/20
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com

Unless I misunderstand you, there is such a presentation in the Information box of the profile panel.

Kind regards,

willem