Sponsoring Subsurface

Dirk Hohndel

Mar 28, 2022, 7:03:18 PM3/28/22
to Subsurface Divelog

So this has been a very, very often requested "feature". And I have always resisted - for many reasons. The top two were always:

(1) "people who give money might expect something in return"
(and I want to continue to consider this nothing but a hobby and to tell people who don't get that to just "go away").

(2) "I am too lazy to set this up, deal with the tax implications, etc"

Now as it turns out, I ended up creating a small consulting company for completely unrelated reasons. And as a result have a way to deal with money coming in, I have to do taxes anyway, so, err, reason (2) really doesn't apply anymore.

But of course reason (1) is still very much in place. But hey, it might be worth a try, given how often this was requested.

So, as of today there is a sponsor button at the top of the Subsurface GitHub page. It gets you to our brand new Sponsor Page.

In an abundance of caution, let me make a few things very clear:

- Subsurface was, is, and will continue to be open source - nothing changes
- you get nothing in return for sponsorship, no better anything, no extra support, no other benefit  (actually, given the default setup at GitHub, they push you into offering "something" - so people who sponsor and want to get mentioned will be added to our Thanks page)
- the money goes to me (and I'm only one of several developers) and will be used to pay for the infrastructure (domain, cloud storage, test build infrastructure, developer certificates, etc)
- if more money comes in than is needed to pay for the infrastructure, I solemnly promise to spend the rest on my next dive trip
- I am not asking anyone to sponsor this. I'm doing ok financially, there are many other open source developers who likely need your money more than I do
- but if you really want to give me money... there's your chance 😇

I hope I covered all the basics. If you have questions, let me know. If you are confused, just ignore this.

Oh, GitHub seems to force me to have at least one suggested sponsorship level. I picked something random - again, I'm not asking for anything here.

Thanks

/D

PS: it's oddly hard to write an announcement like this that doesn't feel like I'm asking for donations...

Gmail

Mar 28, 2022, 7:42:56 PM3/28/22
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
I am happy to be one of the first to sponsor Subsurface.

Warren

Dirk Hohndel

Mar 28, 2022, 8:02:50 PM3/28/22
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
I can confirm that you actually were THE FIRST to sponsor :)

Thank you.

/D

Janne Johansson

Mar 29, 2022, 12:31:57 AM3/29/22
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
Bah, only because I was asleep when this was posted. Just let me walk the dog. :)

Skickat från min iPad