Garmin Fit File character limitation

Brian Belzel

Nov 21, 2022, 4:26:12 PM11/21/22
to Subsurface Divelog
Subsuface team,

There appears to be a character limitation when importing dives from Garmin MK2s using the .fit file downloaded via Garmin Connect.  I just noticed this issue downloading a dive today.

System info:
Macbook Pro running Catalina
Subsurface for Mac 5.0.10
Garmin Descent MK2s SW version 16.00

Attached are two .fit files.  Files are on my Mac under the Users/Brian/Garmin/Activity folder.  Subsurface is looking under Users/Brian

When I attempted to download the 10013763976 file, I got an error indicating no new dives downloaded from dive computer.  When I checked the "Force download of all dives" box, I was able to see previous .fit files in the same folder location, but could not find the latest dive.

I then noticed that the 9875409008 file had one fewer character than the latest dive.  I then decided to rename my latest dive by removing one of the 0s at the beginning.  I then tried to download again.  Subsurface didn't find new dives again, but when I forced download of all dives, it did find the new 1013763976 file, so I was able to get it to import into subsurface.

I've also attached a log file if it might help.

10013763976_ACTIVITY.fit
subsurfacelog.log
9875409008_ACTIVITY.fit

agar...@gmail.com

Jan 19, 2023, 12:02:01 AM1/19/23
to Subsurface Divelog
Noted the same issue - log file shows:
[0.000784] DEBUG:   10321676892_ACTIVITY.fit - name too long

If I manually trim off a few characters, it will import the file.