Move Subsurface to New Computer

Chris Hostetler

Nov 22, 2022, 8:08:45 PM11/22/22
to Subsurface Divelog
Sorry if this already posted somewhere but didn't see it in the documentation and a search of the group didn't come up with anything.  Does anyone know the process of moving subsurface from one computer to another?
Thanks,
Chris

Gmail im Auftrag von Martin Gröger

Nov 22, 2022, 9:45:10 PM11/22/22
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
hi chris

at first welcome to subsurface 🙂
you didn't mention which kind of new computer you are useing or which OS you are running but I think in that case it should not matter.
the smartest way you can go is to use the subsurface cloud for your dive data. I don't think there is a way to "move" your personal preferences so here is the way I would go:

useing the cloud:
on the "old" computer:
 - go to "file" ->"safe to the cloud"
- go to "file" -> "preferences" and write down your personal settings  or just try to remember them

on the new computer:
- get it runnig smooth and get your internet connection
- download subsurface from the subsurface website
- install subsurface and enter your username and password for the cloud (I think subsurface is asking for your user and password in the installaton process)
- enter your preferences
- go to "file" -> "open cloud"
- go to "file"-> "save as" and safe your dive data in a folder of your joice (or just as a "backup" if you have set the cloud as standard storage)

that's it
for me personal I use the cloud data just a kind of backup and to synch with my other (andoid) devices and so I use a local copy as standard storage 'cause it is faster and I don't have to have a permanent internet connection and I'm useing always my laptop.
in that case (or if you are _scared_ to safe your files in a cloud) just install subsurface on the new computer and move you dive data to a folder you like (and set it as standard storage in the preferences) by useing a usb-stick.

so you see it is no rocket sience or big IT-magic😉

keep on howling

grey

mwe...@gmail.com

Nov 23, 2022, 5:14:57 AM11/23/22
to Subsurface Divelog
Hi Chris,

As grey said, one way is to use the Subsurface Cloud save feature, which works well and keeps your data sync'd on your phone and other devices as well if you want to access it while on the go.

Alternatively, if you'd prefer not to use the cloud feature, simply save your logbook to removable media (File -> Save As), install Subsurface on your new PC, and load the log file in again.  I don't think there's an easy way to transfer the settings in either case, but that will be a problem for most of your applications.

Assuming you're on Windows (and your new PC is Windows as well) you can try to copy your local Subsurface folders to your new machine : %LOCALAPPDATA%\Subsurface and %APPDATA%\Subsurface.

Cheers,
 - Micha.

Robert C. Helling

Nov 23, 2022, 5:50:09 AM11/23/22
to Subsurface Divelog
Let me just mention that many of the settings (like your choice of units or which elements you selected in the profile display for example) are also stored in the cloud storage.

Robert C. Helling

Nov 23, 2022, 5:54:09 AM11/23/22
to Subsurface Divelog

What is not stored (in order to keep the files somewhat compact) are images and movies linked to your dives. You you need to transfer those separately. But you don't need to store those in the same directory structure, just move them to some place on the new computer (or use Dropbox or the like to do the syncing) and then do "find moved media files" from the file menu. This will locate the media from a checksum that is stored with your dive log.

Griffon Walker

Nov 29, 2022, 11:33:53 AM11/29/22
to Subsurface Divelog
My last couple Dave computers have had Bluetooth so I mostly sync in the field to Subsurface-mobile. I would really like to be able to attach a Google Photos or iCloud link to an album and have that sink across.
Of course it also like to be able to build the profile with the little pictures on the desktop based on that sink but I think that was ruled out a long time ago.