Crash on iPhone during app startup

Sean Schneyer

Sep 9, 2020, 2:15:11 PM9/9/20
to Subsurface Divelog
When posting questions you can help us answer you more quickly if you make sure you include some basic information:
  • Which version are you using (hint: look at the About screen)?
    • Mobile: 3.0.12 (4.9.6.24) Beta - (also tried with 3.0.12 in app store)
    • Mac: 4.9.6
  • Which OS are you running?
    • iPhone: iOS 13.6.1
    • MacBook Pro: macOS Catalina
  • (if applicable) which dive computer are you using?
    • Cressi Leonardo

Background: I'm trying to get the GPS information to sync from the mobile client with the dives I imported on my Mac.

Here is what I did:
  • Went diving for the long holiday weekend, turned on the GPS Service on the Subsurface mobile app
  • Left the GPS collection on for the weekend
  • Upon returning home, I fired up my MacBook Subsurface client and imported my dives
  • Made sure everything was synced up to the cloud, then closed the MacBook client
  • Opened up the iPhone client, checked that there was GPS data, then attempted to sync with the cloud
  • This caused the iPhone client to crash
  • When I restarted the iPhone client to try again, it would not progress past the "Subsurface-mobile starting up" header

(NOTE: I learned the hard way earlier this year that deleting and reinstalling the app will allow me to start the app again, but all of the GPS data will be gone at that point.)

After searching the forum I didn't find a solution, but did see there was an option for using a Beta version, so I opted in and installed the Beta. I get the same results with the Beta, but at least this allowed me to send logs.

Hoping to find a way to still get the GPS data synced.

Dirk Hohndel

Sep 9, 2020, 2:22:26 PM9/9/20
to Subsurface Divelog
This is a rather frustrating situation.
You are correct that an uninstall would indeed delete the GPS data that was saved.
But it's currently not possible to get Subsurface-mobile to start up without trying to open the cloud data - and that appears to be where it crashes.
My first recommendation would be to NOT uninstall and NOT rush things.
Usually Apple shares crash info with me and often (but not always) those contain enough information that I may be able to create an update that would avoid that crash. And that update of course won't delete your GPS data.
Please give me a couple of days to actually locate the crash info (they are typically a day or two delayed before I see them) and then come up with a way to avoid the crash.
If that doesn't work, I should be able to create a beta build that simply doesn't open the cloud data at startup so that we could extract the GPS data - but I'll leave that as plan B for now.

Feel free to reach out to me directly as I try to untangle this mess...

/D

Sean Schneyer

Sep 9, 2020, 2:46:05 PM9/9/20
to Subsurface Divelog
Sounds like a plan. I'm in no huge hurry as I likely won't be diving again for at least a few months.

The report will come in from a different email address (sean (at) linuxbox (dot) org). Let me know if I need to generate another crash as well if the report doesn't come through. You also have my permission to check out my cloud account if that helps troubleshoot (same email as mentioned above).

Thanks,
Sean