I think I overwritten my DB

Cliff Lee

May 22, 2024, 10:08:44 PMMay 22
to Subsurface Divelog
I've had SubSurface working for years, now and have 182 dives logged.
Went to a trip to Barbados last week and made 6 dives.
I opened the Windows app and updated it to the latest version
I D/Led the dives from my Suunto Vyper.  All fine.
Now I have a DB of 6 dives.
My plan was to sync with the cloud (which shows all previous 182 dives on the mobile app).  The intent was to add the cloud dives to the newly D/Led dives.
Only it overwrote my cloud storage with the just the Barbados dives.

I tried to import from Divelogs.de, but it's not accepting my credentials.
I've successfully logged into Divelogs.de and Divelogs.org (So I know I have valid credentials).

I also have my dives in Subsurface Webview (subsurface-divelog.org) and have credentials.  All my previous dives are there (But not the new Bardos dives)

I've got this all messed up.

Any advice?  I really don't want to lose all the dive history.

Michael Keller

May 22, 2024, 10:15:05 PMMay 22
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
Hi Cliff.

First of all: NO PANIC. All is good, Subsurface is very good at retaining history.

On Thu, 23 May 2024 at 14:08, Cliff Lee <crif...@gmail.com> wrote:
I've had SubSurface working for years, now and have 182 dives logged.
Went to a trip to Barbados last week and made 6 dives.
I opened the Windows app and updated it to the latest version
I D/Led the dives from my Suunto Vyper.  All fine.
Now I have a DB of 6 dives.
My plan was to sync with the cloud (which shows all previous 182 dives on the mobile app).  The intent was to add the cloud dives to the newly D/Led dives.
Only it overwrote my cloud storage with the just the Barbados dives.

I tried to import from Divelogs.de, but it's not accepting my credentials.
I've successfully logged into Divelogs.de and Divelogs.org (So I know I have valid credentials).

I also have my dives in Subsurface Webview (subsurface-divelog.org) and have credentials.  All my previous dives are there (But not the new Bardos dives)

I think what happened is that you inadvertently created a new account in the Subsurface cloud storage, and then uploaded your Barbados dives into this account.
The Subsurface Webview is a web frontend for the data that is stored in the cloud, so all your dives are still there. You must have used a different email address when you set up your new installation, which then created a new account.
To get this sorted, first save your Barbadoes dives into a local file.
Then edit the cloud Preferences in Subsurface and enter the email address and password that you used to log into the Webview. After this your existing dives can be synchronised from the cloud. Then simply Import the Barbadoes dives from the local file, and synchronise again, and you are done.

Ngā mihi
  Michael Keller
--
GCS$/CC/E/IT d- s+ a C++ UL+++/S++ P L++ E-
W++ N o? K? w O(++) M-- V+ PS+ PE+ Y? PGP+ t

Dirk Hohndel

May 22, 2024, 11:55:00 PMMay 22
to Subsurface Divelog
I'm a bit confused

The credentials for divelogs.de and divelogs.org have nothing to do with Subsurface.

From your description, my guess is that you downloaded the six dives on Windows and then overwrote your cloud storage with those dives.
You need to always FIRST open your existing cloud storage, THEN download new dives, and THEN save them back to cloud storage.

Assuming I am correct, all your dives are still there.

Send me (di...@hohndel.org) an email from the email address that you use for Subsurface cloud storage (so not from the email address you use for the Forum, but the email address with which you are registered for our cloud storage. In that email please give me permission to access your cloud storage data. Once I have that permission, I will most likely be able to restore your dives.

/D

Cliff Lee

May 31, 2024, 11:40:55 AMMay 31
to Subsurface Divelog
THANKS to everyone for their advice.  Particularly Dirk who was able to restore my data.
I was working the issue backwards, and imported new data from my Dive computer first.  When I went to sync with the cloud, it wipe it out the old data.
I saved my Barbados dives, to an XML file, Kirk restored my data.  I then refreshed my data from the cloud which recovered my data.
I then imported the XML which got my Barbados dives added.
And finally I synced with the cloud again to make sure local DB matches the cloud.

THANKS to everyone for helping to save my DATA!!!

I LOVE Subsurface!