Small feature request: End SurfGF Column in the dive log list

Ryan Holden

Nov 29, 2022, 12:55:43 AM11/29/22
to Subsurface Divelog
Hello,

Subsurface is brilliant - I now use it instead of the Shearwater Cloud. One feature I found that is missing in both however is the End Surface GF column in the dive log list, and ability to sort via this column also. I regularly use this info to gauge how fatigued I was after a dive, and vice versa. To clarify, this is the Surface GF value  right at the end of the dive, the same as moving the mouse over to the right most point of the dive profile and noting the SurfaceGF at this point.

Would it be possible to request this?

Additionally, a column for the surface interval would also be really useful, save me calculating from the time / calendar. The SurfGF is more important at the moment though.

Great software, keep up the good work!!

Gmail im Auftrag von Martin Gröger

Nov 29, 2022, 1:21:03 AM11/29/22
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
hi ryan

I think the surfaceGF is a feature/data just a few divecomputers have built in. in my part I dive a shearwater and an OSTC and both have it, you dive (one or two) shearwater you have it also. but most of the commonly used divecomputers (especially in the rec segment) don't calculate this data ('cause these computers do not calculate buehlmann) so in my eyes this feature would create more errors, issues and confusion than it helps - for most of the subsurface users.
but you can work around to have this feature - after synching your divecomputers to subsurface just write the surfaceGF in the "notes" part.

the surface interval is already calculated - I think you should have a look to the "info" tab of subsurface desktop - I think it is there 😉

keep on howling

grey

emmdarakis

Nov 29, 2022, 1:28:12 AM11/29/22
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
Hi!
I've made a similar request/suggestion recently in an online diving forum tagging Dirk there. In addition to having a column for the end SurfGF, I think it would be nice to be able to include this info in the dive statistics (to see how it evolves over the years, follow the average, max min etc).
I hope it wil eventually make it high enough in the developers' todo list one day.
All the best

emmdarakis

Nov 29, 2022, 1:32:58 AM11/29/22
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
Grey,
Exactly because my DC doesn't calculate surfGF this info is even more valuable to me. As for users who don't know about it, it can be ignored like so many other "complicated" but extremely useful features that subsurface offers (like heat maps etc).
All the best

Ryan Holden

Nov 29, 2022, 2:07:33 AM11/29/22
to Subsurface Divelog
Hi Grey,

Thanks for the reply. I'm not an expert programmer or dev (I only casually learned Python) however with regards to dive computers not supplying that info, I see a couple of (in my opinion) easy workarounds to this.

1: If the DC does not provide End SurfGF, then this field can be set to null (blank).
2: If the DC does not provide End SurfGF, then this can be calculated by Subsurface based on the dive profile information supplied by the DC
3: Regardless of if the DC provides the info or not, Subsurface could calculate the end SurfGF based on the dive profile information supplied by the DC, overriding whatever end SurfGF the DC provides.
4: Have an option in Subsurface to enable a calculated end SurfGF in addition to data from the DC.

Noting the end SurfGF manually in the notes is an option but does not allow us to easily visualise multiple dive's end SurfGF at the same time to compare / browse, nor does it allow us to sort the dives based on this important info. The same goes for the surface interval request to be added to the list of available columns.

I didn't realise Stepfen had already requested this feature, great minds think alike :)

I'm more than happy to help out testing these new features, I have access to Shearwater and Garmin (my primary / backup computers) and can easily ask friends for log files from their non SurfGF capable computers or RGBM etc..

Let me know.

Graham F

Nov 29, 2022, 3:07:07 AM11/29/22
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Please can you take me out this conversation.

Thanks

JB2Cool

Nov 29, 2022, 4:16:26 AM11/29/22
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
Graham,
You've signed up to the Subsurface developers mailing list, these emails are not specifically looping you in. Details of how to unsubscribe are in the footer on the emails.

Jason

Graham F

Nov 29, 2022, 4:44:07 AM11/29/22
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com

Ryan Holden

Dec 1, 2022, 8:31:31 PM12/1/22
to Subsurface Divelog
So I was looking into this a little more and I can't find anything about Surface GF in the dive log file which subsurface caches locally. Interestingly when I view the logs directly on my Shearwater Teric computer, Surface GF is not mentioned in there either. I can only presume that Surface GF is a calculation done on the fly by the computer to be displayed, but not logged, and end surface GF is generated by Shearwater cloud after importing the dive log from the computer. This leads me to also presume that the surface GF value I see when scrolling the dive profile in Subsurface is an on the fly calculation, i.e not being read from the log.

Using the tags option to display a Surface GF value works for me, however I don't want to scroll through 500 dives doing this for every single one. Can anyone point me in the right direction about if there is a way to run a command / script within Subsurface which would populate this field? I don't use tags for anything else. I have python experience and just need pointing in the right direction. I don't think I can write a script that runs outside of Subsurface since the Surface GF doesn't seem to be stored in the log file.

Michael Andreen

Dec 3, 2022, 3:36:48 PM12/3/22
to Subsurface Divelog
So, currently the deco calculations are only done on for the currently displayed dive. I've made a proof of concept change that calculates the End GF for all dives and adds that as a column in the dive list. It seems to do the right thing, but I've just extracted some of the calculations that were done for the profile widget. For the ~500 dives that I have in subsurface it might take a second or two longer to start with my debug build, but it's hard to tell.

Ryan Holden

Dec 5, 2022, 12:51:17 AM12/5/22
to Subsurface Divelog
Thanks Mic,

I've not tried the pull just yet. I exported the computed dive data from subsurface to CSV and painstakingly went through it all ensuring it was formatted correctly within Excel (I've swapped dive computers and transmitter amounts over the log time which threw some columns out). Based on that, I was then able to use pivot tables to work out both the max Surface GF and the End Surface GF for each dive based on the Surface GF column values. I then graphed the results which I've shared with you below. Essentially this is showing tissue saturation throughput, and this (in my opinion) is the amount of decompression stress on a given dive plus the days before and after. The gaps you see are 0% saturation dives, that is, I didn't go deep enough to ongas any significant amount. I found the results quite interesting (having had issues with mild DCS myself recently). I wouldn't expect Subsurface to display graphs or anything at this stage, but if we can get those two values (max and end surface GF) displayed as two columns in the dive list, one could then export the dive list to CSV and easily manipulate that data in Excel to create visualisations or whatever they wanted etc. I even managed to create a graph of how often I was diving :D

I'm considering sharing this information with DAN too as I've personally not seen anything like this before

For the minute in Subsurface I have End Surface GF displayed from the Tags column and Max Surface GF displayed from the "suit" info, since I always wear the same wetsuit anyway so don't use that field.

 Capture.JPG