No bluetooth on Linux with 4.9.3 appimage (Confirmed still working fine with 4.9.1

Jason Bramwell

Sep 15, 2019, 2:10:36 PM9/15/19
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com

I updated the Subsurface appimage to 4.9.3 yesterday on my Linux Mint MATE 19.2 laptop and today when i try to download dives from my OSTC Plus Subsurface tells me "The local Bluetooth adaptor cannot be accessed". If i launch the appimage with -vvv then i see this comment in the console output "Cannot find a running Bluez. Please check the Bluez installation". Can anyone else confirm this functionality? I only have the one Linux machine here currently that i can try.

Regards

Jason

Dirk Hohndel

Sep 15, 2019, 2:18:33 PM9/15/19
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com, Jason Bramwell
Bluetooth is a bit hit and miss with the AppImage. On Mate 19.2 you should be able to use the native Ubuntu app. Have you tried that?

/D
--
From my phone

Jason Bramwell

Sep 15, 2019, 2:26:03 PM9/15/19
to Dirk Hohndel, subsurfac...@googlegroups.com

Dirk,

Yes it does, i can't believe i didn't think of trying a native install prior to sending the message (sorry). Interesting to hear about the hit and miss bluetooth with the AppImage, my experience with the AppImage has been great so far but i must confess i'm a fairly new convert to the AppImage.

Amazingly quick response too BTW.

Jason

Dirk Hohndel

Sep 15, 2019, 2:29:19 PM9/15/19
to Jason Bramwell, subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
Because of crashes with the map I ended up upgrading the QT version inside the AppImage and I noticed that I saw the same Bluetooth issue that you mentioned in one of my tests.

I haven't had the time to figure out what is causing that.

/D
--
From my phone

JB2Cool

Sep 15, 2019, 2:51:30 PM9/15/19
to Dirk Hohndel, Subsurface Divelog
Thanks for the explanation as to where this issue is coming from. I'll use the native app for the time being.

JB

Marc MERLIN

Oct 30, 2019, 10:46:52 AM10/30/19
to Subsurface Divelog
On Sunday, September 15, 2019 at 11:51:30 AM UTC-7, JB2Cool wrote:
Thanks for the explanation as to where this issue is coming from. I'll use the native app for the time being.

So, per my other thread, 4.9.1 appimage crashes on start on my debian system, and 4.9.3 works but BT support is non working.

I also tried to use the ubuntu package and BT works enough to see my perdrix AI but not to download from it.

Is there an appimage that actually works for you, including BT?

Michał Sawicz

Oct 30, 2019, 11:00:58 AM10/30/19
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com, Marc MERLIN, Dirk Hohndel
W dniu 30.10.2019 o 15:46, Marc MERLIN pisze:
> I also tried to use the ubuntu package and BT works enough to see my
> perdrix AI but not to download from it.
>
> Is there an appimage that actually works for you, including BT?

Hi Marc,

Is the "ubuntu package" you refer to the .deb one? Have you tried the
snap version [1]?

Dirk, any chance to get some visibility on the snap package? :)

[1] https://snapcraft.io/subsurface
--
Michał (Saviq) Sawicz <mic...@sawicz.net>

signature.asc

Marc MERLIN

Nov 1, 2019, 3:48:00 PM11/1/19
to Subsurface Divelog

On Wednesday, October 30, 2019 at 8:00:58 AM UTC-7, Michał Sawicz wrote:
Hi Marc,

Is the "ubuntu package" you refer to the .deb one? Have you tried the
snap version [1]?

That sounded inspiring, but:
 saruman:~# snap install hello-world
2019/11/01 12:42:03.448508 api.go:879: Installing snap "hello-world" revision unset
error: cannot perform the following tasks:
- Mount snap "core" (7917) ([daemon-reload] failed with exit status 1: System has not been booted with systemd as init system (PID 1). Can't operate.
Failed to connect to bus: Host is down

I'm so not ready to upgrade my laptop to systemd, it will be days/weeks of downtime/breakage that I can't afford. I'll look into that as a fresh install whenever I buy my next laptop.

Is there a snapd that doesn't needlessly require systemd? Mmmh, according to https://forum.snapcraft.io/t/installing-and-running-snaps-without-systemd/3949/11 , the answer is no :(

Well so much for snap then.

Benjamin

Nov 7, 2019, 3:12:35 AM11/7/19
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
Marc, if you are semi-comfortable with the command line, consider building Subsurface yourself? It's a matter of a few commands ( all documented ) and doesn't take long.

Benjamin

Benjamin