Two way data exchange between mobile and PC version

Gabriele Profita

Aug 7, 2022, 6:01:19 PMAug 7
to Subsurface Divelog
Hello,
after having a brief "conversation" with Dirk in the not really appropriate (for discussions) channel of Google Play app review, I've decided after his suggestion to write here.

Maybe I'm missing something but I would like to use the mobile version simply as something I can bring with me when I don't have my PC, this means I would like the desktop app to exchange data with the mobile app and vice-versa, in short have them capable to be in sync.

So while it is possible for the PC version to import and export log files and also import and export dives to divelogs.com, as far as I know such feature is not available on the mobile version, also cloud upload (not divelogs.com) is only available on the mobile app.

So how can I keep both versions in sync with all the dives especially considering that right now I have no dives on the mobile version while they're all on the PC version?

Thanks in advance

Gabriele

Dirk Hohndel

Aug 7, 2022, 7:10:12 PMAug 7
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gabriele,

Thanks for reaching out. The 350 character limit plus having to overwrite your last response really makes the beta feedback one of the worst communication methods, ever.

The whole design of the mobile app rotates around the idea of the Subsurface Cloud connecting the two. So you have a shared cloud data storage (which is based on git and allows you to also have basically infinite backups) that allows you to update your dive data both on a computer and on a mobile device.

So, please create a cloud storage account (this is free, your data aren't used for any purpose and never accessed without your explicit permission). You can do this both from Subsurface or Subsurface-mobile. My suggestion would be to do this on Subsurface and store your data in the cloud. Then in the settings on Subsurface-mobile you enter the same email and password and you'll get exactly what you are asking for.

This is described in the user manual, but if you have questions about the specifics or need some more help with how and where to do this, please don't hesitate to reach out!

Thanks

/D

Gabriele Profita

Aug 8, 2022, 3:21:08 AMAug 8
to Subsurface Divelog
Thanks Dirk,
I was always looking inside the export menu in the PC version and couldn't find the cloud part in the desktop version!
Finally I've found it inside the settings, I had cloud enabled already in the mobile version but not on the desktop one.

Thanks again
Gabriele

John July

Aug 8, 2022, 9:12:02 AMAug 8
to Subsurface Divelog
I also want to thank Dirk.  I was completely confused with trying to get both the PC and mobile devices to work.  With Dirk's help, I was able to get them to link to each other in the cloud.  I am delighted with this app / program.

Saludos from Panama,
John